It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:32 am

Post a new topic Post a reply Page 9 of 10   [ 143 posts ]
Go to page Previous 16 7 8 9 10 Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:45 pm 

Bot Check: GAMER
like my net, ip is changing every 24 hours :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:46 pm 

Yahoo Messenger: redraven799
See? you don't even have to be a haxor to get around it. lalz :lol:

Lumbie - I've got wood! [ACME]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:51 pm 

heh u can ban me and i'll be back anyway :wink: :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:33 pm 
Staff

Let's hope he's too dumb to figure out proxies... :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:36 am 

At the end of the day it takes a lot longer to find and configure a proxy and to create a new account than for me to reban the new IP or account. So anyone sad enough to keep trying is really wasting far more of their own time than anyone elses.

Also most people with a Dynamic IP don't have it change that often; it must be something to do with your IP.

He's been forum banned, you know he's been forum banned, so now there is no need for the discussion to continue... lets get this thread back on topic.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:08 pm 

You know, Raptor, for all the jokes made at his expense and whatever the dude became, was just a new player to obsidian. And really I'm not so sure he wasn't abused by staff..

I'm trying to remember something from when I first started playing in the early 2000s, I was brand new and had a question for the staff.. let's see what was it...

Ohhh okay. I remember now. I was killed I believe by a player and looted of my beautiful Viking Sword Of Vanquishing Of Resurrection (which I thought was the most l33t sword in the game) I was so sad I paged like wtf are you allowed to kill players? The staff appeared in cove and told me straight up "No" you aren't supposed to PK people. This wasn't an abuse of me per say. But my point is the staff are human and make mistakes and bring their own bias to the game. If Echo was already mad, bored, tired, etc.. Then a player doing nothing more than annoying him could have caused him to go off half-cocked.

I see so many people as I read back through these forums, who take the position that this is fine. We only want players who will be basically Puppets to the staff.. And players should take abuses from other players and staff and always remain polite and calm themselves, especially to staff.. Or they aren't welcome.

I think this ^ is ridiculous and shows only the immaturity of those with this opinion. I understand that when the current staff and the "current" players came up, the game was harsher and more chaotic. It is no longer that way, and wasn't when raptor first joined either. The harsh reactions and Pull Yourself Up By Your Bootstraps attitudes were natural and necessary for a game with No Safe Zones, where you had to act in that way to survive. It was part of the mechanic of the game at the time.. It is no longer.

This behavior indeed reminds me of every other throwback to a bygone age. Racists, Male Chauvinists, Religious Leaders, etc.. the list is never-ending.

Can we not overcome this conditioned behavior? Can we not see the changed world (or game) for what it is and try to understand how our actions affect and are looked upon by those who come after us?

---

One more thing. "Maximus" is the person I traded accounts with long ago, taking his semi-newbie account and giving my own decent account to him (with a rare vampire character). So he is the person who I was ever closest to on the shard and I'll consider him a friend for life.

In this thread he justified people Rez-Killing Raptor, for these reasons. Raptor, he said, "kills crafters", "calls guards", and "logs out to avoid damage". NOW I helped create this guy and did my best to encourage within him this ethic to protect players from "evil" but this took things too far. Harassment to the point of killing someone's ability to play is never justified. If that is what is warranted then a GM BAN is how it should be done, No Other Way.

Raptor came along at a time when the Blue Characters were extremely well organized and established. As were the PKers. Now Raptor looks to have a desire to play as an Evil character. Well who the hell was he supposed to PK besides crafters? How was he supposed to get kills and survive attacks if he didn't use devious methods? The PK guilds could have welcomed him but we all know they never do that for new players. The more I think about it the more I am persuaded that this guy didn't stand a chance here.

-----

p.p.s.

(Just throwing this here cause the thread I wish to reply to is locked)

I have left this game for several different reasons over the years, probably 3 or 4 times I've remade an account. The first time was because I allowed someone to use my miner and they stole my account. The second was because of betrayal by who I thought were close friends in-game, including Echo but not directly because of him, and to his credit he left the guild which was ordering him to attack his friends. The third time was when I traded accounts with Alexander. The fourth time was after many run-in's with again Echo, this time as staff. So this is my FIFTH account.

[THIS IS DIRECTED TO STAFF] Can We Please Get Over The Need To See New Players Suffer Through All We Had To Suffer Through. I understand gains are "faster" than they were. And I don't necessarily feel they are too slow as they are. But I do feel very strongly that Punishments for players trying to ease some of the pain of grinding skills are too harsh. AFK should not be allowed. Cheats should not be allowed. Anything Else Which Is A Programmed Game Mechanic Should Be Decriminalized! Line Of Sight training for instance. Or gold harvesting (now coded out). These things should not result in a player losing all their work.

Please take the following opinion to heart without judging it as self-serving. As I stated I have had 5 accounts, I've done way more work than a single 8-9xGM 5 character account would take to complete. And I have no compulsion to complete my chars on my current account. Or I would have done so while no staff was around to care.

[If someone could provide # of hours required to GM this skill, or also others, that would be great]
I was taken from 72% resist down to 50% resist for "line of sight exploits". Which everyone agreed at the time that I deserved and was lucky in, as far as not being dropped to 0%. I was in cove, in the orc fort, using orc mages to train. I started out using regular orcs to block the mages behind them. But something wasn't working right about it, I can't remember exactly what. So I stood on top of the tower with the mages under me, but whilst fighting 1 orc on the top so I was trying to stay within the technical rules.

Now I stated in a post that I had worked for 2 weeks on my newb mage to get that 72% resist, and probably 90% of that time was spent training resist itself. I would say I spent at minimum 5 hours per day for 14 days which is 70 hours, but likely I was spending an avg. of 7 hours per day training. That is (Read:98 hours). But let's make sure and say 4, 4 hours per day for 14 days training resist. So 56 hours. Not 56 hours AFK, Not even 56 hours "exploiting" line of sight. Rather a mixed bag wherein I trained other skills at the same time at points, and let my character sit and train independently at points. But Why? Why would I do something I know could on the whim of a staff member be taken away like that? Because I felt what I was doing was Not Wrong.

Why is it not wrong? Because this game is ridiculous. It takes literally years at a rather intense pace compared to how people play other games. And it's an Intense Pace doing Boring Things!

Little things were put in to make the game less tedious and boring and to speed up gains and discourage AFKers. But this was only implemented for crafters!! Crafters Are Actually Fun! Hitting the green dot is ANNOYING actually! I saw no lack of traded goods to justify this. The Boring Parts Are Passive Skills And Rarely Used Skills. Poison and Resist are two that come to mind. I highly doubt I will ever GM either of them, that is disheartening. They should be difficult sure. But there needs to be a way to shorten those training times. The way it has been and stands now is that Rich players with friends who are willing or in need will train resist on each other. A Faster, Easier, Less Dangerous method than "abusing" LOS!!! All it takes is to be selected for help or to play the game an insanely long time in order to build up the massive gold you need to do it.

I leave you with just 1 question.

If player A, starting a character for the first time, playing casually (1-2 hours a day), only training his 1 character, takes say 2 years+ to GM resist [an estimate, but imho a low one]

and

If player B, starting a character for the first time, training with the help of rich players and friends, playing even more casually (1 hour a day, spent mostly chatting or doing other things while the character trains [not afk]), takes 1 month to GM resist.

Then do you believe that system is a good one for Fun, Competition, and Retention of Players?

Last edited by Kuka on Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:16 pm 

Lmfao, got me to laugh thank you. You're posting this at the wrong time bud, no one cares, and no one cares especially for raptor.

Or... ARE YOU RAPTOR? Have you spent many long nights learning english? Just to post this one paragraph??!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:29 am 

heh... Nah I just stumbled upon it because I was looking at what we did to get obsidian moving again. Like this voting thread. Which turned into a very telling argument. One we can learn from as we get ready, if we are getting ready, to go down the same roads all over again.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:35 am 

Id rather play this game making fun of different cultures, talking shit to people who cant speak english, and everything else obsidian had back in the day. Instead of a game made for a 12 year old.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:32 am 

I actually agree with that Apoc.

I just don't agree with rezkilling, harassment of individuals with the intent of ruining their gameplay totally, and staff being allowed to play favorites or overreact because they personally get pissed off.

Lysol-former
Maximus-former
Dracula-former
Kuka
Bl8dinc4K3

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:18 am 

I feel like staff are spending to much time punishing players and not enough time doing things for players. I say we throw out all the rules, make Raptor admin and fix luck so we can start getting our weapons back and start playing.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:32 am 

I agree with kingblacktorn and dracula 150%

But still I don't understand why this conversation is taking place when there are 0 players online.

EDIT: I just noticed dracula and kuka are the same person... why post with two accounts, and are you also alexace? tf you doin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:06 am 

Yea, and I was just checking my accounts, just happened to post on them when I did.. No reason.. I'm posting cause I'm thinking about how to get that 0 number higher and keeping it high.

Lysol-former
Maximus-former
Dracula-former
Kuka
Bl8dinc4K3

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:17 am 

Quote:
Yea, and I was just checking my accounts, just happened to post on them when I did.. No reason.. I'm posting cause I'm thinking about how to get that 0 number higher and keeping it high.
Gotta smoke it out with some of that ganja

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:29 pm 

Wow, massive coincidence that I decided to log in to the Obsidian forums for the first time in over a year, and see the post above.

I appreciate that you've taken the time to talk on the subject of Raptor and the belief that he (and others) were somehow the victims of overzealous staff behaviour, but I assure you that this was not the case.

It is really important not to speak with such conviction regarding issues where you do not have or understand the facts. I always worked hard to be fair and diplomatic where possible (I have managed many staff in real life) but we do need to have limits to the behaviour that we tolerate.

With Raptor, or indeed anyone else that I had the need to ban, he was given multiple chances to behave in a considerate way, but broke rules time and time again and was repeatedly abusive to other players and staff. This ranged from being abusive to players and staff ingame (including, for example, calling female players nasty names) to long and persistent abusive rants on the forums.

We always appreciate feedback, but it would be ignorant to assume that we ban or discipline players due to some odd desire to create a restrictive, unfair or overly controlled environment for anyone.

On the contrary, we actually have a duty of care to preserve the fun and freedom for the majority of players who do not seek to abuse each other (or us) or break our rules or terms of service to create a hostile or oppressive environment for others (or just to gain an unfair advantage i.e. cheating via bugs or exploits which he also used to do).

With freedom comes responsibility, and this does not give you the right to infringe on the rights of others to enjoy the game. Every game has rules, particularly regarding balance and conduct towards others. You can yell abuse at your TV as much as you like while playing Call of Duty single player campaign, but that doesn't mean it's OK when you are speaking to a real person whether online or IRL.

Raptor had more than enough chances, and is one of the (relatively few) players that I believe warranted and continues to warrant a 'permanently banned' status. Gameplay elements aside, his conduct towards players and staff in both the game and forums made it clear he was not a nice person to others and did not fit the community.

Kindest regards,

GM Thassius

Post a new topic Post a reply Page 9 of 10   [ 143 posts ]
Go to page Previous 16 7 8 9 10 Next