It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:23 pm

Post a new topic Post a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ]
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:14 am 
Site Admin

So, public humiliation time, today we have two geniuses. Sorry i'm not giving names, but these two know who they are and everyone should learn from their example.

!st guy tried brute force guessing other people's account names. He has been warned and will be banned if i catch it again. I do not tolerate stupidity such as that. And yes, even 1 failed attempt shows up in my logs. :P Quite a few of you typo once or twice on your passwords on a regular basis.

2nd guy keeps messing up with his 3rd party program and has a big red "watch me" flag on his account. Minute he tries something illegal he will be banned, so consider this your very public warning.

So yeah. 0 tolerance on both of these, if i catch you doing it you'll be lucky if all i do is kill off a character of yours or jail/fine you.

This is also the LAST CALL for any skill transfer due to race/class changes. Only transfers that would have fit the previous set of rules will be allowed. After january 5th, no more skill transfers will be done, no exceptions

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:19 am 

Aww cmon tell us who it is!
Its hardly public humiliation if we dont know who it is :P

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:20 am 

i dont see any public humiliation if u dont say the names.... u r just warning us about someone ... we want NAMES so we can watch out of them ingame too

Iori Yagami - The Old Fisher Of Obsidian
Yashiro - From Old School
Saga - Golden Wizard
Orochi - The Vamp Stoned
The Sorrow - In The Darkness were he belong
[ Merovingian's Dynasty ]

Click here to feed me a Star Fruit!
Get your own at Flyffables!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:04 pm 

Bot Check: GAMER
Yahoo Messenger: chipsll
can we wait till after vamps are in and we test them? because someone that will want a vamp will be F'd if they cant test vamps and dont know how to put there skill sets...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:58 pm 
Site Admin

People have had plenty of time to look at the classes, which are racial agnostic.
Likewise, skill transfers are RARELY granted going from human to a class since there are only a small few situations that grant a skill transfer in that case, and are mainly for old racial chars that are forced into classes.

So no, we're not waiting for vampires as people already have plenty of information available to them about the class system, which is what affects skills.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:09 pm 

ya but different skills of different races and there abilitys + classes all acumalate to different ideal skill sets,

meaning a ice elf warrior would be different from a warlock warrior for racial reasons (lol)
and due to race skills and such like the ice elf wall barrior thing that could be put on macro would make it a + for being a warrior needing to trap a mage fast...

all im saying is let some testing be done instead of ending the skill transfers so briefly...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:59 pm 

haha when someone mistypes there password does that mean you get to see it or it just says incorrect password? If it shows the password lol i got a new way of getting a hold of you. haha just mistype it and type bobIneedYou

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:03 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
ya but different skills of different races and there abilitys + classes all acumalate to different ideal skill sets,
Yes, but we only transfer skills that would be lost due to the class restriction. Race has no affect on that, and neither will your build. Just because an ice elf warrior might require diff skills than a vampire wariror, doesn't mean we'd transfer different skills. Warrior is still warrior, and they'd only be allowed to transfer off skills that would drop or be 0'd.

And no kingblacktorn, it does not show passwords. The old server did that and it drove me nuts. there is no reason staff should EVER see your password, or be able to access it. That's just bad security and bad form.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:13 pm 

Quote:
And no kingblacktorn, it does not show passwords. The old server did that and it drove me nuts. there is no reason staff should EVER see your password, or be able to access it. That's just bad security and bad form.
That's VERY good to hear. As you mentioned earlier, I do sometimes use the wrong password lol.. which could be a password to something else, or be something embarrassing :oops: It's terrible to have a password system that isn't encrypted. An admin should be able to reset a password, but not be able to tell you what yours is.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:51 am 

lolz thats kinda funny jiza :P

but ya ive known m self to get my password wrong like 8-9 times because i have so many different ones lol

obsi i log in and have to enter my password more often, but when i change it, i often enter the old one many times.
even though i am neither of the guys that was being accused, i just wanted to say that...

but as for the race/skill thing.

you said
Quote:
Race has no affect on that, and neither will your build. Just because an ice elf warrior might require diff skills than a vampire wariror, doesn't mean we'd transfer different skills. Warrior is still warrior, and they'd only be allowed to transfer off skills that would drop or be 0
ok but what if vamps have abilitys that make them excelent rangers, you would want to switch class..
races also maybe used to determine class or better/worst at a certain class.( you wouldnt have a warlock warrior... well atm you wouldn't use warlock for anything, besides a necro.. but thats besides the point)
so if vamps have the ability (just theoritectly) get better AR out of armor.. that would make them prime for being a ranger due to its low AR restrictions, now prior to this your account is full and you have a ice elf warrior (not unlikly) before this, you had no need to change because you found this to be the best class for your video game skills (lol) but now that vamp rangers came out that would incline you to switch, so you dont want to train archery (which i hear is a bitch atm).
so wouldn't you want to get it transfered from your other human warrior (lol) to your new vamp ranger?

thats all im saying, why stop it now instead of just waiting a month after vamps are released so there wont be any complaining/bitching..
its not like it will hurt if you do

and your title to this whole thread is misleading,
as no one was humiliated,
as no one else knows to laugh at...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:14 am 

Hi Bob

I rarely like to contest a decision, but I would like the person who attempted brute force account hacking to be banned immediately please.

We really don't need trash like that on Obsidian.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:33 pm 

Quote:
Hi Bob

I rarely like to contest a decision, but I would like the person who attempted brute force account hacking to be banned immediately please.

We really don't need trash like that on Obsidian.

I agree, but wth we have people that got into people's accounts stole all their shit and deleted chars and they are not perma banned so why do it to someone who tried to get in?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:02 pm 
Site Admin

This is precisely why they got what they got.

I run a very strict system of enforcement, because the one thing i strive to be is fair.
I don't vary punishments based on who it is, or what they say, etc.

My punishments are not harsh, but they are set in stone. Even the leniency is set in stone. IF a player does xxxx, and requests it, they can get a more lenient sentence. However that also means their next punishment for a similar infraction will be more severe. It's a tradeoff.

The reason people aren't permabanned is I approve of and have continued broadband's tradition of granting forgiveness on the first of each year and giving people a new chance, for all but the worst offenders. I also have something broadband didn't, which is not only day to day updates and alerts about cheaters, but the ability to monitor them closely if i suspect they are cheating.

Yes, we allow more "shady" characters on the shard now. But they also have even less of a chance to get away with stuff because of the work i put in. And since there are a few who have reformed, i think the system is worth it.

That being said, I will repeat what I have said countless times before.
No one has EVER hacked obsidian.
Ever.
Zilch.
Zada.
Non.
The closest we've ever gotten was that worm that hit the webserver.

If your account is compromised, 93% of the time you shared or gave other people access to your password.
4% of the time it ewas easily guessable
2% of the time i blame on one CERTAIN player who abused cybervic's kindness.
and 1% of the time was due to a corrupt staffmember(very rare).

Post a new topic Post a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ]