It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:31 pm

Post a new topic Post a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:27 pm 
Site Admin

Alright, a few people have complained that they don't think bugs are getting resolved and that searching is too hard, so I'm adopting a new policy.

From now on, anytime a bug is fixed, i will move the thread immediatly out of the bugs/suggestions forum into the closed section. Even if the changelog for it isn't up yet.
If it pops up after that, you make a new post about it.
Likewise if you find ANY bug in-game and it doesn't have a thread in bugs/suggestions, make a thread about it.

I will try to keep the bugs forum under 2 pages to make things simple on all of us.
I just cleared out around 500+ posts, so take a look to make sure your bug is still in there. I tried not to move any i knew were still active but i might have missed some due to badly worded topics.
So take a look at what's still there and if you have a bug that isn't, post it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:46 pm 
Game Admin

Bot Check: GAMER
+10 million brownie points. Seriously WOW

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:46 am 

How is it a bug? Its not a skill that was used in the game. The only person I know that took the time to GM Spirit Speak was Kigger. He said it was a pain to train back in t3a. So why would it not be the same difficutly in t4a.

Certain skills were never easy to gain. Whether the skill was trained in t3a or t4a.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:15 am 

Actually, skills shouldn't be too hard or too easy.. in my opinion there is some skills difficulty should be balanced.
and also meditaion taming alchemy and etc.. they are so easy to gain now and should be harder.

Weakest
Zoro
Void
Goku
Strongest

Cult of the damned

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:19 am 

Well I agree with the last three skills you mentioned, but not with others. Those skills were difficult in t3a and have now become rather easy to train (so a boost in difficulty is okay).

Spirit Speak has always been how it is, so I dont see why it needs changing now? Just because people realized that it helps in Necromancing isn't a good excuse.

Spirit Speak should not be lowered. Its a skill that takes time, once its GM'd you will be happy.

Also, I doubt it will take one that long to train it. Raptor is probably over exaggerating that he trained 10+ hours in one sitting to macro the skill....

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:25 am 

This is just my opinion on spirit speak. Whether it changes or not is not my overall decision.

If Bob sees it fit to increase the gains on spirit speak, then all the power to him and his coding.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:33 am 

Yahoo Messenger: chipsll
ya lmao! it took me along time to get to 35 also,,,
it should be raised,, but yes it should be on anther thread...
cant remeber if i posted here or not so ima repost lawl

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:03 am 

It would be interesting to know if there is still a random element to the skill gaining in Obsisidan, or if it follows a logical advancement curve.

For example

Player A has to swing their Kryss 10,000 times to get GM Fencing
Player B also has to swing their Kryss 10,000 times to get GM Fencing

Skill gains has always been, and continues to be, a massive point of contention for the majority of players. More modern MMO's keep interest in skill advancement because the skill gains are consistent with the activity being conducted and the current level of the skill.

I personally think we should set a realistic time for GMing any particular skill. E.g. one weeks of constant play time in order to GM that skill, and work backwards from there. For instance, Player A swings his Kryss for 3 hours a day for two months, and ends up with GM Fencing.

The above is only an example - the exact time taken would need to be playtested - but it seems to me that skill gaining, and failures etc are far too random and far too inconsistent on Obsidian.

Bob... you mentioned a loooong time ago that many of the issues we encountered were because of the poor random number generator in the server emulator software. Has this issue since been fixed or eliminated?

Is it possible to - rather than tweak every skill individually - completely rewrite the skill gaining system with a generic formula (albeit different formulas for crafting skills from melee skills etc). Players are used to a 'modern' skill gain system where gains are challenging but still scale reasonably predictably. It would be great to see that in Obsidian.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:08 am 

Yahoo Messenger: chipsll
:O thass ftw lawl

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:56 pm 
Site Admin

That is pretty much how skillgain is already determined.
There is a set amount of time for each level of skill(easy/med/hard), and you WILL gm it in approximately that time, give or take ~7.3%.
No i won't say what constitutes work or what those levels are, but that's how i've been balancing the system.

Gm Bob

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:31 am 

Hey Bob

That's great, I'm glad you've worked it out that way with a less than 10% variance!

It would be great to have a chat in private about exact times to max skills etc :) How does the gain speed compare to 'real' UO (ie it would be interesting to know how fast the TTGM (time to GM) is compared to OSI)

Thass

Post a new topic Post a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]