It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:47 am

Forum locked Post a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 34 posts ]
Go to page 1 2 3 Next
 Post subject: Tired of the server
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:53 pm 
Site Admin

I've had this idea floating around my head for a year now, and generally when an idea sticks around that long, it is usually to stay. And well... I really don't know what to do with it.

I love obsidian to death, like most of you I grew up on it, having joined only a year after it launched give or take. For better or worse I worked my ass off when broadband was away to try to keep us alive, and eventually convinced him to even let me code when he couldn't. And I know people didn't always like my changes, but at least i tried to fix a lot of the longstanding bugs and balances that were f***** up for years.

But i'm frustrated.
I'm annoyed with the fact that we're limited in what we can do by a stupid client(who doesn't hate those random no-move bugs, or crashing), and even worse by a piece of server software that has so many hidden equations that i've had to waste hours deciphering them. I spend roughly 3 out of every 4 hours coding tryign to figure out what's hidden within our server and how to make it work to what i want.
I hate the fact that we always have the near 0 chance that EA is gonna get pissed about something we've done, or we'll tread on someone's toes and they'll shut it down.
And i hate more that i can't devote more time because i'm too busy scrambling paycheck to paycheck to try to make rent.

I like UO, and i think the game style really has merits that aren't being met in current MMOs. I also think it had a lot of flaws inherent in it's systems.

So i've been thinking of saying screw it all and writing from scratch.
Either a game completely separate in it's own right, or an evolution of obsidian. Depends on what broadband and you all decide. New client. New server. New world.
Something i could actually point to people and say hey, this is our work. This is what our community has done.
Either way, unlike the forced upgrade from t3a to t4a that came due to the server being locked due to the time bug, this wouldn't affect obsidian. I'd pass the reigns on as they were given to me.

Anyway just a thought i wanted to get onto paper so it'd leave me alone for a bit.

Post subject: Re: Tired of the server
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:18 am 

Bot Check: GAMER
God bless u

Hemofisher (Order Taker)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:48 am 

ugg, in the back of everyones head i think, we kinda knew this would not last, to what we expected anyway.

id love for you to find yourself the perfect server and restart what you did here, it really is the only OU ive found that i really like and do not get bored with in like 30 days. would be great to see.

But we all also know that obsidian will die without you.:( no offence to the others, but as far as a know they dont know scripting near as well( maybe they do and im wrong), and as far as i know bb never is around so this would be about it...0 players on till bb says "ahh, f*** it" and pulls the plug. bummer, hope you do something similiar.

Hook(Daemons)-Mild mannered reporter/Tamer
Mr.Obvious-SUPER Crafter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:45 am 

Come on man, You've done alot of good work in here, We all appreciate it.
The only reason I don't play or log isn't that I don't like it or aint have achance.. but because I don't see players on.
As long as I see new people playing and server becoming popular.. I'll play alot.
So all we have to do for now is to help the shard by voting or whatever.
BTW, All people who doesn't play will also play when they find alot of players are on.. won't go so far, I've got around 9 friends irl who tried obsidian,, they all liked the system stuff pvm and pvp, but they didn't like the way that they play alone.

Weakest
Zoro
Void
Goku
Strongest

Cult of the damned

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:17 am 

He isn't saying he is going to quit scripting. He is asking your opinion on starting a new shard from scratch basically. My opinion is this. I am not going to pretend to know anything about scripting etc. but speaking as a player i kind of have a problem with starting all over again. Now that the shard is actually playable again we are going to start all over with new testing and new bugs and aggrevation? I vote no.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:55 am 

Yahoo Messenger: chipsll
i say its ultimately up to you, would i like restarting ,,, no?
but in my eyes your the BB of the shard.. and tbh i'd rather just play on YOUR server then his with you under him scripting and stuff (b/c he doesnt script or do anything besides keep it up at this point)...

+ if real life issues are f-in with you starting a shard can't be the mooost money effiecent thing to do... unless u were talking about creating a new MMO or something.. in which case i am totally cool with but you'll need a team....

*shrug* if u create something new... im on there.. so ya lol its up to you man :) restarting would suck monkey clit though.. but as belg said without u this shard is prettty much dead....

to make us happy though, i doubt fixing many more bugs will really help.. BUT as was said.. players at this point would make EVERYONE happy.. you have dedicated players here for obsidian as a MOrpg but the part that is missing is the MO or the MMO (players) or w,e you want to call it.. no one likes playing by there selves...

if the bugs and w,e are the only thing bothering you.. well as i said ppl will play though the bugs (remeber the shard was BOOMing when the worst of all bugs (imo) was around the invul bug) soo ya.. players = play time = happy everyone.. not bugless because no game is bugless...

my 1337 cents :D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:38 am 

It sucks to be on an empty game, but this is the only game that I was able to play my whole life without ever truly giving up on. There is something about it that makes it so amusing.

I hated it whenObsi went down a few years ago.Restarting would bring make us go back a step, but maybe bring us 2 steps forward. Ultimately, you choose, and Ill play no matter what.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:12 pm 

hmm I don't mind restarting item wise and skill wise but I would like to have my account age and bonus intact when the new shard is up....plus I think a new shard will benefit all of us if it means more areas to access and more npcs to destroy. I guess if you were to start a brand new shard I would be down.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:53 pm 

Keep are characters and skills, I wouldnt mind the transfer, but restarting would be lame.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:25 pm 

nah man, for me i want stuff and not skills or chars
so it will seem to be a bad idea

Weakest
Zoro
Void
Goku
Strongest

Cult of the damned

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:05 pm 
Site Admin

Lol, no, i am not abandoning you all. And believe me, If i did leave, i would not do so until my replacement is up to speed and knows all the code like the back of his hand. And believe it or not, the other staff do know coding, and contribute regularly. Echo did two of the bloodline quests all by himself, and he is one of the least practiced coders.

So dont' worry there.
No i just more put this down so it'd stop dancing in my head, things leave once you write them out.

And if it was an evolution of obsidian, i would transfer as much as i could of the world for the few that stayed loyal. But this is just the musings of mymind, nothing concrete, nothing even likely, just a thought.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:51 am 

well i would be ok with a start over under 3 conditions:

1- It didnt take 4 years to restart
2- It didnt take 4 years to restart
3- It didnt take 4 years to restart

:)

Hook(Daemons)-Mild mannered reporter/Tamer
Mr.Obvious-SUPER Crafter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:30 am 

Yahoo Messenger: chipsll
ya i doubt people would quit if you did decide to... more people would log on tho and thats all we really care about now... (to beat the dead horse )

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:13 am 

Just keep on doing what you are doing.

I do not think that DXGaming would benefit in having another shard. Many other shards have low player averages as well now.

A whole other server for a whole other game within the same "network" though would be interesting.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:37 am 

Lets update this shard then..so you can have a new obsidian shard to script with and it will make it easier for you and all of us. Just transfer accounts over....as long as more areas, skills, boats, monsters etc is added.

Forum locked Post a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 34 posts ]
Go to page 1 2 3 Next