It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:38 am

Post a new topic Post a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 21 posts ]
Go to page 1 2 Next
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:47 pm 
Site Admin

Bot Check: GAMER
Every time I am asked why the shard remains online in my absence I have always had a simple answer: "As long as people are enjoying my creation and it still functions, I'll keep it online."

People get frustrated because I've not been around in the capacity I was previous and equate it to the fact that I no longer care. That couldn't be further from the truth.

First and foremost Obsidian costs me money to keep operating. This includes domains, webhosting, hardware, internet and electricity.

Last fall we were having issues with the old machine unable to keep up with the new features and I went out and purchased a brand new computer for $500 immediately.

When there are crashes or issues that require my direct attention I make a concerted effort to make myself available as quickly as possible.

Furthermore Obsidian would no longer be here if it wasn't for current staff. We ran into a situation where we needed to make major changes(ones I previously avoided) because it could no longer run without doing a world wipe. GM Bob spent countless hours with his skills and knowledge to ensure we didn't have to do this and because of that the shard endured.

Everyone wonders why myself or some of the other staff haven't come back and while I cannot speak for them I'd be more than happy to elaborate for myself.

Many are correct. Yes, in 10 years priorities do change and real life is expected to supersede a labor of love no matter the time invested. I no longer have the ability to dedicate 20+ hours a week to something that would otherwise be sapping from more pressing matters. I was in college when CyberVic and myself started this and my free time seemed unlimited.

"So why not just give the shard just a few hours a week or heck over an entire month? It doesn't have to be all or nothing!" You say....

As I mentioned previously to save the shard GM Bob had to completely migrate the server to a complete new code base I am unfamiliar with. While the older one may have been sloppy I knew it so well that it was easier for me to wrestle with it than do a complete conversion to unfamiliar code I had to learn. I am not a computer programmer and even for one as skilled as Bob it took over a year! Heck there are still conversions and systems he is continuing to fix. So just for me to come back I would have to spend hours re-acquainting myself with the code and more importantly learn a very new way to code. And you know what they say about old dogs and new tricks.

"Totally understandable. Bob seems to know his stuff so why don't you just be present? Run events, code where you're comfortable and be active on the forums?" Is likely your next question.

To be completely honest I no longer have the patience I did before. Unlike Bob I am not interested in debating with trolls. I do not want to have to constantly defend decisions I've made or actions I've taken. I don't want to put my time and effort into something that is likely going to increase my stress, reduce my happiness and take away from the few things I do have the time to enjoy. I realize not everyone is trolling and maybe it's just constructive criticism or friendly debate but regardless it's not fun for me.

Maybe at some point my real life commitments will change or I'm convinced otherwise. But with the amount of blood sweat and tears I see Bob put into this shard only to see countless complaints in the forums or problem players needing to banned I realize that was me and I do not envy him.

Would I like to see the shard back up to 100+ players online like the rest of you? Heck yes! But as I've told Bob the only way that would happen is if I once again dedicated an ungodly amount of time to something that in the end caused me more pain than pleasure.

As always I will continue to be a sounding board for shard planning with the current staff and keep the server running smoothly to the best of my ability.

Now can we please stop bitching, realize I haven't "given up" on the shard and just go enjoy the damn game us staff have worked so selflessly to offer you.

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:45 am 
Well said and I would like to say thank you sir and Thank you to GM Bob and other staff for there remarkable efforts

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:56 am 

ty 4 all BB and rest of staff TY ALOTS!

Last edited by Eraser on Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:11 am 
Thanks BB and thanks to all the other staff that do loads of stuff and keep this shard going

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:13 am 

thanks dude and the other dudes

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:28 pm 

Quote:
thanks dude and the other dudes
what he said

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:19 am 
Site Admin

And BTW don't take that as a fair well. I will be back in a more active capacity. I don't know how much or when it'll be, but just wait...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:43 am 
Cool, I hope you still have wings BB or something cooler or I wont be happy :P

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:10 am 

Quote:
And BTW don't take that as a fair well. I will be back in a more active capacity. I don't know how much or when it'll be, but just wait...
That's just the way it goes with long-term projects. Sure to see ya around eventually :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:24 am 

Quote:
Cool, I hope you still have wings BB or something cooler or I wont be happy :P
ya he still have them, lol
also Bob should get them too.. :P

anyways ty bb

Weakest
Zoro
Void
Goku
Strongest

Cult of the damned

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:39 pm 

Thx bb , and thx to BOb and all staffs too

Hemofisher (Order Taker)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:55 am 

Thanks BB and all other staff for everything, we really do enjoy the game even though many people bitch, i still see them on everyday sooo.. speaks for itself. Once again thank you and hopefully we will have 100+ again!

BoaDelSanct
*SECRET* - Money Maker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:50 pm 
Shard Supporter (Donated)
Shard Supporter (Donated)

thanks for all the good times anf friends made

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:20 pm 
i'd like to say i have yet to get to play on obsidian but from what i can tell from the forums the admins GMs and staff all seem to do a grate job and i do look forward to getting to play here so thanks to every one who try so hard to make this server a grate place for newcomers like me who have yet to experience it

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:18 am 

Quote:
i'd like to say i have yet to get to play on obsidian but from what i can tell from the forums the admins GMs and staff all seem to do a grate job and i do look forward to getting to play here so thanks to every one who try so hard to make this server a grate place for newcomers like me who have yet to experience it
Hello Raptor :roll:

Post a new topic Post a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 21 posts ]
Go to page 1 2 Next