It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:23 am

Post a new topic Post a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:35 pm 
Site Admin

Since we have the same questions come up agian and again and i'm sick of answering them 20 times, this is now a sticky for these repetetive questions.
This is mostly so certain older posters have no excuse when they incite people to cause trouble over questions they KNOW have already been answered.
If I've missed any questions, feel free to post below and i'll add them.
Quote:
Quote:
Why does class xxxx not get skill yyyy? It makes no sense and completely sucks!
Quote:
Classes are designed to balance out the 100.0 extra skillpoints races get. As such, they are limited so that people still have a reason to go human. If races could gm anything them humans would be at a distinct disadvantage to the point that they'd be unplayable, so classes are designed to give reasons for some people to play humans and some to play races.

Quote:
Quote:
Well that is dumb. Why don't you just give humans a race stone and 100 skill points
Quote:
1. Broadband said no.
2. The game is balanced towards 680 skillpoints, so an increase of the baseline to 780 would require a lot of rebalancing as well as decrease the variety you'd see in builds, since being unable to gm all skills on one character forces people to pick and choose that individual builds are varied

Quote:
Quote:
Well I still think that you should give class xxxx skill yyyy.
Quote:
That's fine, now come up with a proposal for it and post it to suggestions, and state what skill(s) they should lose to make up for their gained skill. Remember that any class needs to have a good reason for people to go human and still be comparable, so no saying "Well warriors can just lose fishing" because that's not really a penalty. If 100% of people are race characters rather than human for any particular class, then it's not balanced.

Quote:
Quote:
But that completely screws up my character i've had for years! That's entirely unfair and you just hate us
Quote:
It is not my fault races were unfinished for 6-7 years. It is also not my fault that you planned for an unfinished race. Since obsidian has had races, it has always said that different race/classes will not be able to gm every skill. See class restrictions on Obsidian Class Page - Circa 2001. You knew the classes were going to get finished. Yes, it screws up your plan, i'm sorry, but not putting the restriction in screws up every human and puts them as the unplayably disadvantaged. If you want proof, ask anyone around 2004-6 when races were briefly put in. People got routinely laughed at for "choosing humans" because of their low skillcap, and a lot of people remade their 2-3 year old character(The real reason you rarely see people over 100, despite lots of accounts being that old) just so they wouldn't get left behind due to these half-implemented races

Quote:
Quote:
Skillgain should be easier
Quote:
Go play a different shard. Obsidian is designed to be a difficult shard where a gm character actually means something. If you want a done character in a month, there are lots of shards that cater to that playstyle. Broadband does not want obsidian to be one of them.

Quote:
Quote:
Money gains too slowly
Quote:
Compared to what?
Compared to other shards? Sure.
But those shards have pointless 0s and you can't buy anything for less than thousands of gold. Think depression-era German(Bread cost millions of marks). Obsidian's gold is kept at a comparatively low rate so that we don't have these worthless 0s, and so that wealth isn't that obscene. A million gold is a milestone here, while on other shards it's barely your first day of playing.

Example: Do you know what the difference between a dragon dropping 1000 gold and a dragon dropping 10000 gold?
The same difference between str fish costing 10,000 gold or costing 100,000 gold. Extra 0s that serve no other purpose.

Quote:
Quote:
Why can't we afk macro?
Quote:
This isn't the shard for it. If it was we'd just let you donate to buy skills, or give you a all stats+skills button when you make your character. If you want to a perfect character without any work, go play a different shard. On here people earn their characters and GM skills are an achievement from playing, not "required before you even begin to play".

Quote:
Quote:
But skill "xxxx" is boring and serves no purpose and is only able to reach 100.0 by macroing!
Quote:
Sounds like that skill needs fixing, so how about you go to the suggestions forum and post a way to make that skill part of normal play and fun to use. No skill should ever "have" to be macro'd. I'm human so i haven't overhauled every crap skill yet, but bear with me and work on suggesting ways. If ya wait for me to come up with all this on my own it'll take longer

Quote:
Quote:
You should stop banning people and unban everyone who was banned to keep population up
Quote:
<sarcasm>Great idea, lets just burn the rules while we're at it</sarcasm>
Obsidian has an amnesty day every year, on january first, and that is when most people who are banned are unbanned to be given another chance. It takes a real serious offense not to get unbanned on amnesty day. This is because we give players second chances and see if they've grown up in the period since they've been banned. And even if you're not unbanned on amnesty day, you are still usually allowed to rejoin the shard on a new account(This normally comes from the old account staying banned due to being "tainted", usually characters gm'd through bug abuse, illegal items or wealth, etc.)

However, we will continue to ban people to break the rules, and will never change this stance. 95% of the players follow the rules, it's unfair to them that 5% break them and then think they shouldn't be punished. Likewise, when they gain benefit from cheating (afk macroing for skills they didn't earn, bug abuse for kills/gold/etc that they didn't earn), we will take away that benefit they've gained. You don't get to keep stuff you get from breaking the rules, period.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:24 pm 
Shard Supporter (Donated)

Ya know bob, people have been saying the same things for years, and not everything thats said is a complaint for complaints sake.

As with urban legends and myths...if you look into things a little with an open mind, you'll find that the stories have some baisis in truth.

The fact is, things are just not that fun, and this is a game...games are supposed to be fun.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:00 pm 

Bot Check: GAMER
Quote:
Ya know bob, people have been saying the same things for years, and not everything thats said is a complaint for complaints sake.

As with urban legends and myths...if you look into things a little with an open mind, you'll find that the stories have some baisis in truth.

The fact is, things are just not that fun, and this is a game...games are supposed to be fun.
Quote:
Quote:
Go play a different shard. Obsidian is designed to be a difficult shard where a gm character actually means something. If you want a done character in a month, there are lots of shards that cater to that playstyle. Broadband does not want obsidian to be one of them.
lol.....

Bob this shard needs some work, please listen to players. At least listen to the overwhelming majority.

I understand you have done ENORMOUS work, I haven't played in 3 years and can definitely tell there is a HUGE difference, but You dont need to implement new things to make a server great, just fix the minor things that make players have fun.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:24 pm 
Site Admin

I know people have been saying the same things, and i've been saying the same responses, and it's tiring for both sides.
Realize that i give these reasons over and over because in most of these issues, my hands are TIED. I Couldn't do anything even WHEN I WANTED to.
1. Broadband has his vision/ideal for the shard. It's his shard, he owns it, and so his shit is followed.
The main part of this you all care about is as follows:
-- A. Anything he wants in, is put in regardless(no fishing on docks for example, or the house item limits. I spent 4 hours debating and bargaining him to let me make the house item limits as big as they were, he wanted them a LOT smaller.).
-- B. Anything he doesn't want in, will never get in until he gets convinced otherwise(humans raised skillcap, fast gain rates, etc. ).

2. The non-implemented or broken parts of the shard are balanced to be in line with any changes due to #1. This means, for example, I was given two options:
-- A. Come up with a way to balance race/classes.
-- B. REMOVE THEM COMPLETELY.

I'm starting to wish i had just removed them because the bitching i get pretty much nonstop that players are even given a CHOICE in picking a race/class is annoying. They're an ADDED BENEFIT, if you don't like it, go play a human. So what if it doesn't fit your ideal, you can be ANYTHING with a human anyway.

The same can be said about a lot of shit.

For every thing i put, in there is always 2-3 people bitching about how it doesn't fit what they want, rather than the fact that it gives them additional options they didn't have before.

I do listen to players, why do you think every post on this forum is read. Just because i listen doesn't mean i will or even CAN fulfill what they request. Some requests are literally unreasonable or beyond my power. So stop for a little bit on the whole "Staff doesn't listen to players" powertrip that keeps comming up, and look at this from my perspective.

I have rules i'm bound by, and limits imposed on what i can and can't change. Working within those limits, i try to make everyone happy. I waste hours posting explanations on why i can't make some changes as people request them, and yet they still just bitch about it. I wouldn't waste the time if it wasn't neccessary, and i'd rather spend it on other things. Alright?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:53 pm 

your frustrated, I get it....so are we.

the shard we love has become....not fun, and all we have to voice or concern is our feet and this forum. We can't complain to BB because he doesn't acknowledge that any of us are even still here, much less care what we have to say.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:16 am 

he cares or the shard wouldnt be running.

this shard was so big at one time it was the best of the best free shards. i remember when the editors of pc world magazine included a link to check out obsidian in their "monthly free mods" type article stating how interesting the shard was and all the cool custom ideas broadband had made work.

bob and his staff are simply awsm the time and effort they put into obsi really warms my heart.

broadband is simply a legend. the guy is so talented and his ideas are so good his shard was insanely fun when he was still active and had a shit ton of players always fighting for their turn to log in the server was so full.

we all grow up, well i dont but i am a rare case. broadband has long since became a grown man with bigger responsibilities but he is nice enough to keep obsidian running and not only that but make sure it keeps the same ideas he had in mind when he created it, and i am sure another reason is he probably just cant let it die it has such a fond place in his heart as it does for all of us as well.

the game is fng old, shit my kids were babies when uo came out they are in senior high now. i was still a young fukr like most of u guys r now. its not gonna get a million players no matter what features they change/add.

lets be glad we have people like bob and echo and the rest of their staff that care enough to help keep broadbands legendary old world alive, remember the feelings this shard gave you when you first started, and hope maybe a few others can find that in the current obsidian that is still kicking after all these years.

personally i see a shit ton of reasons to log in lately, lack of time and games that are 15 years newer are my two main reasons for not logging in much, i dont have to play free games, i can buy what i want. but i will never totally leave obsi. we all know this shard is special.

and to broadband i say thank you for irreplaceable memories i would not have if not for you and your staffs' vision of uo.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:38 pm 

well said

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:11 am 

Bot Check: GAMER
Rumors have been going around that you own the shard now. Im guessing its true since donater portal is gone and i know BB would never get rid of that. If that's true can some things be changed that "tied" your hands?

Post a new topic Post a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]