It is currently Mon Oct 07, 2024 1:26 am

Forum locked Post a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 19 posts ]
Go to page 1 2 Next
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:41 pm 
Shard Supporter (Donated)

Bot Check: GAMER
With the new patch comming out and all the new players joining, it's about time the rules got some updating and clarifications.

So please, PM ME with any topics you think the rules don't cover, but should, or don't cover adequatly.
Likewise if you think rules should be changed, added, removed, etc. post that, as well as why you think so.

Also, if anyone speaks more then one language fluently and would like to work on translating the rules to different languages, please PM me.[/i]

Last edited by ArkAngelDuo on Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:43 pm 
#23 needs to be updated becuase it is now illegal to lock yourself in while a npc casts on you or w.e

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:46 pm 

Is it legal for players to share accounts? (I believe no is the answer?)

Is it legal for a player to be given another players 'old' account for their personal usage? I can't see how this could possibly be fair in any scenario whatsoever...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:59 pm 

just realized the flaw in this plan. Please send all responses to me in PM. You can still post em here if ya want, but that doesn't mean this is a floor for open debate. Everyone is free to post their thoughts on the rules and anything that needs changes/updates/deletion/clarification, just not to respond to others unless it's constructive

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:12 pm 
Game Admin

Vendors are there solely for selling and buying goods. Using them for anything other than this purpose is illegal.

Illegal items: Black/Blue furniture, black potions, cannonballs etc

Rule 23: mention using a guarded boundary to limit NPC movement is also illegal

Rule 21: a name can only be changed if someone else shares the same name.

Guard spamming = calling more than 2 times for the one offence.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:01 pm 
Quote:
Illegal items: Black/Blue furniture, black potions, cannonballs etc
I'm working on an item list of illegal items (common items atleast)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:08 pm 

/me adds rule decreeing "Duo Maxwell is lame"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:43 pm 

New rule, to quote a song:
Quote:
You must die, I alone am best

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:05 am 
Okay, I have a question. Why the hell is Duo Maxwell even posting a topic on the rules? Did he become staff recently? Maybe it's arrogant of me to question him, but then again I'm a pretty arrogant guy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:31 am 

See a need; fill a need. No need to be staff to take proactive steps.

He's just compiling an updated list...something that anyone could have done. It's up to admin to accept and implement the updated list. I don’t see any reason why they wouldn't...less work for them, ya know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:31 am 
Yes, but I believe that this insinuates that the rules are in fact outdated, and/or severly lacking for someone to need input on such a large scale. I don't believe this is the case, and that the rules set forth by the admin and staff of this community should be held with more respect than what little they appear to be given here.

So far all I see is staff that actually have anything to contribute to updating the rules anyway. I think this topic is pretty pointless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:46 am 

Actually this is through a general consensus of both staff and players that i've talked to that agree the rules are either unclear on certain points, are outdated, or might need to be refined. A lot of it is just stuff that needs clarification being as the viewpoint the admins originally held on the topic has changed.

The rules were fine when they were written, but since then there's been revisions. This is just another one. Times changes, and the mechanics of the shard change. Plus you have to include the random player who joins who finds a whole new way to break the rules.

There was actually a pretty valid discussion over IRC that covered a lot wider range then the few suggestions posted here, and i'm kinda dissapointed more people aren't posting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:55 am 

Quote:
Plus you have to include the random player who joins who finds a whole new way to break the rules.
im kinda disappointed if you think rules keeps a cheater from cheating.

but it would be nice for the honest players to have an official illegal items list and also be able to see any other newly created/altered rules i guess.

as for cheaters, well rules mean shit to them. and i dont think higher staff need anything in writing to ban a player who is obviously cheating on purpose.

it's a good idea, i just hope staff spends more time in game actually catching rulebreakers than they do making up new rules to add.

you know the saying a lock only keeps an honest man honest. a thief will break the lock anyways. peace.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:49 pm 

i never said the rules prevent cheaters. I'm saying that new players come and do things that are "technically" legal in the rules but are other wise cheap, unfair, or just ruin the game for others, even though it's in a legal grey area, and then it lands on whichever staff handles, which sometimes means they get off or don't, depending.
So i assume no one else has qualms with the rules except the issues expressed?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:20 pm 

OK Duncan, you have a valid point but I have to disagree.

It is apparent that the rules are outdated. Of course, there is no insinuation that what BB has written is not good enough - more that some players have repeatedly tried to abuse them.

While (as Drizzt said) their should be an inherent sense in all players as to what is right and wrong (cheating etc) it helps to have something concrete in the rules.

We definitely need to have something in the rules with regards to 'sharing' accounts, or illegally obtaining someone elses account etc (ie INSTANT BAN). We should also have items in the rules that cover conduct towards a staff member, revealing a staff members identity etc.

Basically, the common consensus amongst staff and more experienced players would generally be that our rules need to be more, well, IDIOT PROOF. It is a few select people that can only be referred to as 'idiots' that decide to try and bend the rules and act how they want to. The vast majority of Obsidian players are absolutely fantastic, so this does not apply.

The bottom line is, the rules state that their are no grey areas, and that admin/GM will prevails.

However, with more clear-cut guidelines for specific misconduct, it will be easier for lower staff (eg Counselors and Seers) to apply stricter punishments when there is a clear rule for reference. Similarly, all players will be aware of exactly what we permit and what we do not - ignorance will not be an option.

As far as Duo Maxwell goes, he has never been staff but he has definitely contributed to the shard. I see no harm in him collating some information on our behalf - nor any harm in getting input from the players as to what they consider should be added to the Obsidian rules. Needless to say, just because something is posted here does not mean that it will become Obsidian law.

I think that any input from the Obsidian community as a whole can only be a good thing. Please, if you have a suggestion for the Obsidian rules - post it here. Any posts that are not constructively for this purpose will be DELETED.

Thanks for your help in this. Who knows, your suggestion could shape the policies of the entire shard...

Forum locked Post a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 19 posts ]
Go to page 1 2 Next