It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2024 10:14 pm

Forum locked Post a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ]
 Post subject: Lost stang due to crash
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:11 pm 

Bot Check: GAMER
i went to my house with my pvm mage to kill my crafters stang, with purpose of shrinking it after. I froze/crashed just after polyed and attacked the stang so what i think happened was i killed stang it came back at once (as pet protected) and i killed it again on auto while i was offline. As there is a 3min delay on logout in wilderness, and during that time it said "someone is allready using this account" when i tryed login.

how do you (staff) approach this? i feel i lost my stang due to a bug as i crashed

picture is taken just after but on my crafter

I game on Ubuntu!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:29 pm 

Killing your own stang to move it or whatever it was you were trying to do is kind of like bug abuse. And a complete waste of staffs time. Besides that last i checked pet proect pots don't ever return rides to your house as they are supposed to so I would say that actually your ride was never blue I'm afraid. Either way it is only a stang and speaking as one of the ppl who has lost tons of stuff due to bugs, rollbacks etc. I would say it is only a stang tame or buy another 1.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:31 pm 

Yahoo Messenger: chipsll
staff tell you to kill your rides accually if u want to shrink it , thats what usually happens with me,,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:33 pm 

i was to remove pet protection, and when i got back ingame with stang dead it was 2 gravestoned on body. dont see what bug i abused?? is there another way to remove pet protection than poof them? then ive been missinformed

I game on Ubuntu!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:47 pm 

Quote:
staff tell you to kill your rides accually if u want to shrink it , thats what usually happens with me,,

I would honestly like to see pet prot pots removed completely as they are more trouble than what they are worth. What would be awesome is if rides just naturally turned blue when they are tamed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:53 pm 

pet protected rides tend to poof back to the spot of their death when killed inside a house.

2 gravestones would indicate that you did indeed kill it twice

It's not really your fault though (since killing a ride is the only way to shrink it) - pet protect pots shouldn't exclude shrinking (or shrinks should reverse pet protection?)

I'd vote for you to get the ride back since you were at least honest! You could easily have said that someone came along and nuked your ride inside the house and then taken a screenie with 2 gravestones and a dead stang [then pretend you clicked the gravestones before checkign what they said or without taking a screenie of them...] - people tend to get their rides back for that...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:00 pm 

it would be the smarted to ss with the gravestones still there i guess, but i didnt react on the body first- so i just paged for stang and clicked away stones to be able to get down the stair. whenunderstood that stang = dead i cancelled the page (if .help /others then escape cancel allready sent page?)

I game on Ubuntu!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:27 am 

I'm sorry I think it would be pretty hard for us to replace your stang because you killed it LOL.

Once I had my stang *go through a wall* in a dungeon to get nuked by Fire Elementals. Now that was a real bug. I didn't get it back. What has happened here is that you were trying to manipulate the process to move your ride or to shrink. That isn't a bug, but technically an exploit.

Crashing isn't a bug, its just a crash - there can be multiple factors involved - so what we have above is simply you crashing while performing an exploit? Sorry buddy.

If the bugs present in pet protection pots bother you than I'd suggest not using them until they are fixed. They certainly weren't around when I was a player. So I have a new slogan:

Feed a tamer. Don't use protection.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:33 am 

Quote:
What has happened here is that you were trying to manipulate the process to move your ride or to shrink. That isn't a bug, but technically an exploit.
im ok with not getting stang back, i was just to shrink to save it anyway. But i dont understand why thats an exploit? I bought the stang when it was proteceed, and i was not to use it anymore right now, so I wanted to shrink it.

I game on Ubuntu!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:19 am 

Yahoo Messenger: redraven799
How can it be an exploit when we're told that that's how it's done? I was told I would have to do that if I protected my stang and wanted to shrink it later so I opted to not protect it because I didn't like the idea of killing it. So yet again I'm confused about what is illegal and what is not and what is a bug and what is not. Etc etc. Is there any way to get an official decision on what is illegal and what isn't? Something that all staff can agree on and enforce?

Lumbie - I've got wood! [ACME]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:49 am 

I agree, staff are pretty much all over the map on whats legal and what is not legal. We do need someone to set down some actual rules that all staff go by. For example, Gm Bob feels that taming in buildings is illegal but GM Thassius and CV feel its not. CV says that attacking an animal to gate it is illegal but Thassius doesnt agree so wont enforce it even with screenshots... lawl I luv you guys but damn make up your minds on some stuff. I do not see how killing your ride to remove the pet prot is exploiting to be honest with you, help us out guys.

But its still fun to watch them
fall down the stairs.
-------------------------------------------------------
Whisper Hunter- Tank-Mage (sort of lmao!)(GWAR)
Saga Hellfire- GM Tamer (TLC)
Raine- GM Macefighter (KoDR)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:52 pm 

Quote:
I agree, staff are pretty much all over the map on whats legal and what is not legal. We do need someone to set down some actual rules that all staff go by. For example, Gm Bob feels that taming in buildings is illegal but GM Thassius and CV feel its not. CV says that attacking an animal to gate it is illegal but Thassius doesnt agree so wont enforce it even with screenshots... lawl I luv you guys but damn make up your minds on some stuff. I do not see how killing your ride to remove the pet prot is exploiting to be honest with you, help us out guys.
The answer to that should be relatively simple. Whatever BB, CV and Blinkers says is law. GM's are to enforce the laws of the admins. Interpreting "grey areas" are for admins alone. But when you look at obs history it seems that some "exploits" have gotten looked passed because of either severity, necessity or personal opinion. Without active admins sometimes you have to do what is necessary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:39 pm 

OK, I've never had a problem with my enforcement of the rules, so you can really quit the 'only person that can interpret anything is admins' stance. If the only people that contributed to staffing decisions and enforcement were admin the shard wouldn't function - this is why we have a staff *team* whether you agree with a particular decision or not.

An exploit is simply something that uses a mechanism or process in a game to achieve a result that was not intended by the developer for that particular mechanism or process. An example of that would be killing a pet protected rides in order to move and/or shrink them.

And just because I point out that something is *technically* an exploit by definition does not mean that I would jail you for it :) As Belgarion pointed out if something arises due to necessity then we would not generally take exception to this. Do you see any disciplinary action being taken? No. After all, the only person that suffered was your stang :(

Basically my point was that killing a stang in order to move and/or shrink it is not a process which is designed to be followed ingame. Therefore we would not generally replace a stang on this basis because it is not something we would endorse. I understand that their are bugs in the game but if players seek to use 'workarounds' in order to circumvent those bugs then unfortunately if those measures backfire we aren't accountable for that.

...and don't even get started on ride-gating because I've seen plenty of different admin and GM decisions on that one :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:25 am 

oki, point made :) and i wont pet protect stangs i know i might replace in future, risky business ;)

suggestion to lock this, as i started it and dont think it needs to be taken any further. thank you for all the inputs
\m/
//amb

I game on Ubuntu!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:05 pm 
Staff

Quote:
suggestion to lock this, as i started it and dont think it needs to be taken any further.
Sure, it's my lot in life. :)

Forum locked Post a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ]