It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 2:38 am

Post a new topic Post a reply Page 1 of 11   [ 157 posts ]
Go to page 1 2 3 4 511 Next
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:51 am 
Site Admin

UPDATE 21-11-2007: Weapons have been tweaked further and should now be a little more balanced to the current system. DPS has been lowered slightly, and the speed of some weapons has been tweaked to provide a more varied spread between the three skills.

Necromancy has also had a few major bugs patched that came from the transition from the test server, and should now be relatively bug free. Which means we can resume events for new necros to expand testing, and if no new major bugs are found in the next 72 hours, we may be able to open up necromancer new character creation for everyone.

Please keep posting your feedback, while the staff are trying to interact as much as possible and monitor how the patch is going, we can't guarantee we get to talk to everyone, so keep leaving your thoughts on the forums.

Original Post: First off I would like to thank all the players who have been with us through the rather slow summer. It's because of players like you that keep obsidian alive and one of the best shards out there.

That being said, I have good news and bad news.
The bad news is that this patch only fixes some minor bugs, and is not a primary bufix patch that we are waiting on. That will be comming soon, I promise.

However, now on to the good news.
We bring you two content adjustments.
First off, Necromancy has been reworked and reinstated.
A couple of the spells have been tweaked, as you will now notice, the light spell, drains light from the area around it, making it near impossible to see. This does not affect targetting, just disorienting. There are other modified spells, I will leave it to you to figure out what they are. I will also caution that one of the spells can summon the great skeleton king himself, and if you aren't necromancer enough to control him, he will simply kill you.

Because there are only five accounts that have logged in during the past week that have necromancers, broadband has allowed us to hold events this week to allow the creation of a few new necromancers, who will be posted here as they win their events:

Swan Relandi (Who won musical (red light green light) chairs)
Nightflash (Who won Bob Says)
Zetro (Who won Echo's Pass the Parcel)

Now for the warriors:
For a very long time the weapons on this shard have been VERY VERY unbalanced. In fact, there is a contest from now until the next patch, whoever can CORRECTLY guess what the MOST POWERFUL weapon was for the past 5 years, they will win a prize. And no, it's not the battle axe of vanquishing.

Anyway, weapons have now been adjusted. Most weapons stayed the same speed, however a few of the very heavy ones were made lighter.

Also, weapons are now split so that there is a definite difference of how the 3 weapon categories operate:
Macing - As blunt weapons, any hit from a macing weapon will cause massive damage. Therefore you will notice that maces deal the most consistent damage out of the three.
Swords - Swords are general all purpose weapons, combining the power of maces and the finess of a blade, allowing them to be fairly powerful. Swords will deal a medium range of damage around their average.
Fencing - Fencing is all based upon the art of exploiting weaknesses in armor or protection. Therefore fencing weapons deal a very wide range of damage. Therefore you can have hits that just bounce of armor and barely dent it, or you could hit a critical spot between the plate joints and deal massive damage.

To sum it up,
Maces hit for a very small range, usually around +-3 damage from average.
Swords hit for a medium range, usually around +-10 from their average.
Fencing weapons hit for a very large range, usually around +-20 from their average.

However ALL the weapon damages have been redone. Every weapon now deals the same average damage per second, DPS. Which means if you want to hit fast and light, grab a dagger. If you want that one really powerful hit every 5 seconds, get a halberd. But you will still deal the same average damage per second no matter what weapon you grab, assuming that you don't miss. This should make weapon hunting better and make people less.... hoarding of those 5 special weapons, the bow, the battle axe, the hammer pick, the war fork, and the viking sword.

Please remember that these two features are now back in open beta, meaning we will be testing them out till the next patch to see how they balance with the current system. Keep this in mind, and give them a chance, try to see how the game is with them, even if it is a little different. This includes all the pvp mages out there who are about to wonder why they can't stonewall themselves in with a warrior in melee and not take damage.

Example of how DPS works: Say you have a kryss, which hits an average of 1 time per second, and you have a halberd, which hits an avergae of 1 time every 5 seconds. The halberd does 5 times as much damage per hit as the kryss. So if a kryss does 10 damage per hit, the halberd does an average of 50 damage.

DISCLAIMER: As stated, these are NOT guaranteed to be the final weapon balance DPS numbers. Please give us feedback and we will be adjusting them as time goes on to see how the system is best balanced. But please try to adjust to them and not just say OW I die fast as a mage, that sucks.

DISCLAIMER#2: The numbers for DPS that the current weapons deal was not picked out of the air, and is not higher than the old weapons used to be. For the base DPS of normal weapons, we used the 5th most powerful weapon on the shard without the magic bonuses. So if everything suddenly seems to deal a lot of damage, know that if you have decided to use any of the top 5 most powerful weapons, you would be dealing aroudn the same or higher damage per second.

Anyway best of luck and I hope to hear all your thoughts. We should have a better patch up for you next time that is more oriented on fixing bugs.

Last edited by GMBob on Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:27 am, edited 8 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:05 am 

Bot Check: GAMER
Hey! Its about time!!

One step forward in the right direction. Cant wait to see how this affects gameplay and whats next to come.

Good job guys!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:06 am 

oh great news indeed! thank you :D

I game on Ubuntu!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:36 am 

This will come in handy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:21 am 

Good job staff with the patch :) Can't wait to see what you've got in store for us in the next 1!! A few of us have already been tryin out the new wep damage on chemi's head lol.

Just cos i want a prize and missed out on gettin a necro, i'm gonna guess the wep that dealt the most damage was the vanq kryss(light, pain whatever).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:27 am 

Vanq bow of poison probly, cuz bows are pretty fast and you have the poison wich also delivers a certain amoun of damage as well aside from the hits.

Somebody tell Cherry that Necros are back!!!!! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:30 am 

my guess is a vanq war axe of pain? or just war axe if you mean no matter extra attributes

I game on Ubuntu!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:40 am 

Good job on the patch guys, I kinda like it :P But I gotta say that Im not overly fond of doing anywhere between -30 and -45 damage with a smiths hammer. I use a smiths hammer to train because it does less damage, I can quite easily beat someone to death with it now :/

But other than that, the patch seems to be pretty cool. As for the strongest weapon thing I cant really make a guess since I pretty well stick to the same weapons all the time, war axe, war hammer and viking sword- all do a pretty good amount of damage tho.

But its still fun to watch them
fall down the stairs.
-------------------------------------------------------
Whisper Hunter- Tank-Mage (sort of lmao!)(GWAR)
Saga Hellfire- GM Tamer (TLC)
Raine- GM Macefighter (KoDR)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:59 am 

Good job guys!
And id say the most powerfull weapon was war fork.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:04 pm 

-55 on a regular bow.
Abit to much i'd say!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:04 pm 

All you guys are wrong its A large battle axe of force :P. they only go up to ruin unless you get one from staff witch is a force (aka prize shack). why else do you think there are no vanq's of em there to strong :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:01 pm 

I LOVE GmBobs new avatar! im in it, running around in black cloth carrying a verite shield! :P :D

I game on Ubuntu!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:17 pm 
Shard Supporter (Donated)
Shard Supporter (Donated)

enchanted gm made kryss ftw!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:30 pm 

so, pvp mages sucks now?

Oriax - Necro