It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 8:35 am

Post a new topic Post a reply Page 1 of 4   [ 55 posts ]
Go to page 1 2 3 4 Next
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:20 pm 

Here are a few of my thoughts after playing with this for a little while. Surely I will find more after more use and many of you will think of things I overlooked or didn't consider. My Blacksmith skill is 68.0 and tinkering is 34.2. I have not played a gm in either of these skills, so my perspective is based on that skill level.

Overall the interface is appealing and relatively intuitive.
But it would be nice to have a more hierarchal layout to the menus.
Such as...

Ringmail
-- ringmail tunic
-- ringmail gloves
-- etc.
chainmail
-- chainmail tunic
-- chainmail gloves
-- etc.

The single list seems to run on.

The menus are simple enough to navigate in, but english is my primary language. The pics in the old interface may be easier for players that may not know the english terms for the items.

The current interface shows only the items you can make at your current skill with the resources you have in your pack. If you exhaust your resources it shows the skill and resources necessary in red font. It would be helpful to see a complete list of items with only the lacking skill or resource in red font.

The ability to switch primary resources seems interesting, but I have not tried it out yet.

From a training standpoint...
Will we have the same potential to gain whether making in bulk or single item?
or
Will making in bulk penalize gain potential like macroing does?

Nash Fisher - Fisherman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:58 am 

Bot Check: GAMER
Yahoo Messenger: chipsll
well im guessing the pulse system would actually help you gain faster through mass production

because the more stuff you make at once the more pulse work it takes per item + more items = way more gains due to the increased amounts of work?

i think....
i gave my self a head ache again :( UGG

if you dont like offtopic dont read below!....

i would have hated to code that LAWL
it took me 30 mins to code a Fahrenheit to Celsius program from scratch in C++ LAWL, 20 mins being debugging because i had a capitol F in Fahrenheit which threw everything off,,

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:42 pm 
Shard Supporter (Donated)

I've had a chance to play around with some parts of the new crafting system.

I really like the new system as a hole. The new crafting gump is great, and the ability to sub some resources is amazing.

The gains..I'm not sure about the gains just yet. I made 50 rusty pickaxes with 43.6 tinkering and gained .2 (rusty pickaxes require a minimum skill of 43). I made 50 bottles and got 0 (bottles require 20 skill), which is ok, but if I'm to extrapolate that to higher skill levels, I could be at 99 and in order to reach 100 I might have to craft hundreds of large bloodrock items....like I said, I'm not too sure about the gains yet but I just started messing around with things.

I made quite a few weapons that require around 70 smithing skill to make. At GM I was unable to mark any of them as master crafted. I think that at GM we should have a better chance to mark items master crafted.

I have not ran into any bugs yet, but this system screams AFK.....If someone crafts 50 items that require 4 ticks each, and each tick is 5 seconds......Thats over 16 minutes of idle time....if your training and you do that 4 times, that would be over an hour of watching a screen with less then 5 minutes of actual input to the game....staff can't expect players to be around to hit macro stones with these kinds of idle times.

Those are the only things that I think really need to be addressed. The gains are probably good, but I'm not high enough to test them fully yet.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:04 am 

Azi have you typed .markwork so it shows your name? I know it says u have to in the change log.
I think gains are WAY to slow. I was scribing yesterday and i done over 3k scrolls and only gain 0.8. My skill is over 95 but it still seems abit extream to not even gain a full 1.0.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:09 am 

".markwork"
no aimee its .makersmark

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:15 am 

Sorry yeah it is, idk why i typed .markwork lol cos I was thinking .makerswork lol but then again it was 7am and id just woke up.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:19 am 

Yep, I typed it. I got master right away on the iron war forks I was testing on. The shadow I got master 1 in 3 tries....the other 2 were not even good enough to be expert. Verite... I made 4 of them and didn't even get expert on one, much less master.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:27 am 

I think it is progressively harder to get master on your crafts

BUT i think it's to harsh,,, atleast for alchy,, i barely get masters on g heals and there 65, and im 100

umm and also
if you have some regular pots u can drag a single expert pot on top of it and it renames the whole stack to expert or ur name or w,e... so it kinda ruins the point for potions,,

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:57 pm 

Here's a bit more information on the skillgains I got in tinkering today.

I started out at 43.8 tinkering.

I made:
150 normal iron pickaxes (600 ingots, minimum skill of 40 required)
50 Bronze axles (50 ignots, minimum skill of 30.4 tinkering)
100 Rusty Pickaxes (400 ingots, minimum skill of 43.0)

I made them all in batches of 50 at a time.
The normal pickaxes gave me 2 gains in 3 batches.
I got nothing on the bronze axles, but I was not expecting to. Hopefully it added to my work and helped with forced gains.
The Rusty Pickaxes gave me 3 gains the first batch, and 2 gains the second.

I ended with 44.5

so, for a total of about 3 to 4 hours of game time (including mining that much ore) and 1,050 ingots, I gained .7 in tinkering at about 44 skill.

That seams like a lot of time and resources to put in for .7 gains....and I'm not even at 50 skill level yet. I think if it was that hard to gain at about 80, it would be more in line with expectations.

Gains also seamed to be at fairly predictable times in the 50 item cycles, which leads me to believe that something might be up with the randomness side of the gain system.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:15 pm 

blacksmith gain data...

begin at skill 68.0

made 25 plate arms (iron) grouped 10 - 10 - 5
skill needed 66.3
18 iron ingots

first 10
8 regular and 2 expert
no gain

second 10
1 shoddy and 9 regular
0.1 gain

last 5
5 regular
no gain

made 55 rusty gorget, grouped 25 - 25 - 5
skill needed 40.0
10 rusty ingot

first 25
15 regular, 8 expert, and 2 master
no gain

second 25
24 regular and 1 expert
no gain

last 5
5 regular
no gain

made 55 bronze gorget, grouped 25 - 25 - 5
skill required 50.0
10 iron ingots

first 25
25 regular
0.1 gain

second 25
9 regular and 16 expert
no gain

last 5
5 regular
no gain

I chose to make arms in iron because it was the toughest iron piece I can make. In rusty and bronze I chose gorgets because all of the pieces had the same skill value and they consumed the lowest resources. Ireally didn't expect to gain from the rusty with the relatively low skill value compared to my skill level. The quantities were limited by the number of ingots I gould carry.

Total consumption was 450 iron ingots, 550 rusty ingots, and 550 bronze ingots. When you consider the time it takes to gather the resources it seems like alot of effort for minimal gain. At the preliminary rate of gains for iron arms I would have to burn through nearly 10,000 ingots to reach 70 skill. As time permits I will continue testing.

Nash Fisher - Fisherman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:27 pm 

Nice data, i havnt recorded anything i've crafted but i'll try in the future. I agree though, gains are bogus.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:33 am 

After thinking about this for a little bit, I've come to the conclusion that the gains are hard, but not the hardest part (at least for tinkering). If someone had unlimited resources they could reach GM within a week using very little real effort, but much of that time would be spent macroing 6 to 10 hours a day.

The hardest part of the new gain system is that we are very limited to resources. I think that everyone would agree that mining sucks. It takes 2x as long to clear a mine now compared to T3A, and when we are finished we end up with 1/2 the ore we once got for the same mine.

I'm not sure if part 2 of the patch includes an overhaul on resource gathering, but I hope it does. Making mining faster and more productive would go a long way to improving skill gains.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:44 am 

next round...

beginning skill 68.2

made 75 gold gorget, grouped 25 - 25 - 25
skill needed 65.0
10 gold ingots

first 25
24 regular and 1 expert
gain 0.1

second 25
25 regular
gain 0.2

third 25
1 shoddy and 24 regular
no gain

Again I chose gorgets because all gold plate had the same skill vallue and gorgets used the fewest resources.

Total consumption was 750 gold ingots. Gains came at the beginning of the first and second sets, and again at the end of the second set. I assume luck gave the gain at the beginning of the second set, as the pace of gains did not hold up through the third set. If that is correct I should have enough work built up that I should gain again in a fourth set, if done.

Using the actual gain of 0.3 in 75 gorgets (750 ingots) or the potential of 0.4 in 100 (1000 ingots) yields the same gain rate. Again, not too bad until you factor in the time and effort needed to mine 750 gold.

One thing I did notice is that gold ingots seem to weigh twice as much as the others below it. I haven't calculated the weights yet, but can carry only half as many gold as rusty or bronze. As long as we are discussing weight, the plate arms are also heavier that the resources consumed to make them. Again, I haven't calculated the weight but when you walk up to the forge and the first one make hits the floor because its too heavy it is kinda obvious. I didn't notice the gold weight untill I started this data collection, but the iron arms were like that before the patch.

At this point I'm not convinced that it needs to be easier to gain or collect resources.

Nash Fisher - Fisherman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:24 pm 

Well, iron has a density of 7.874 g/(cm^3) and gold has a density of 19.30 g/(cm^3). One can juxtapose that any gold object is much heavier than a similar iron object based on the density, molar weight, and position of each element seen on a periodic table. Ever held a large gold object? It is very heavy. Indiana Jones throwing the Golden Idol of Fertility like a cantaloupe at the beginning of Raiders of the Lost Ark is total Hollywood bullshit.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:11 pm 

hes saying llama

that if u have 15 iron ingots
and u make arm peace (which takes 15 iron ingots)

the arm peace will weight more,, which makes no sense..
material will be lost, and nothing will be added, besides energy which causes lose of golds (small peaces and sparks falling off) which have more energy in them than it took to get them off...

since mass and energy are the same, and more energy was lost making the item then generated the item should weigh less due to less mass...

umm probably the wrong way to say...
shit falls off the gold armor as you craft it so it cant be heavier at the end...

Post a new topic Post a reply Page 1 of 4   [ 55 posts ]
Go to page 1 2 3 4 Next