It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 4:00 am

Post a new topic Post a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 41 posts ]
Go to page 1 2 3 Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:10 pm 
Site Admin

Bot Check: GAMER
Everything is continuing smoothly and it looks like the server should be back up at noon just as I hoped. This will be the new server with a 32% faster CPU along with speedy DDR memory as opposed to SDRAM. Server based lag should effectively be gone from now on. Later today I'm hoping to go get that router that finally came in for me to pickup.

Just wanted to give everyone a quick update of everthing that has been going on before I head to bed.

5:00pm PST - Purchased new 3ghz processor for Obsidian
6:00pm PST - Took down server to upgrade processor

At this time I came to the quick understanding that nothing is plug and play when you need it to be. Apparently the motherboard wouldn't support the new processor even though the FSB and voltage was identical. I hit the ASUS website for a bios update, applied it to the motherboard and gleefully watched as it dumped and never booted up again. To my shock and dismay I lost a completely functional motherboard due to a failed flashing process. Fun times.

8:00pm PST - Made a call for help to anyone who was considering donating to do so now since the shard was now down for further notice. We have had considerable donations however due to my amazing luck the most recent batch of Pal Pay donations was on route from them to me via check and I will likely not see it until Wednesday or Thursday

9:00pm PST - I talked to my friend who is a techie at CompUSA and he informed me that he might have a motherboard or two that he could unload on me cheap. Additionally if i was up for the late night drive I would be able to acquire them this evening. The only downside is he needs the money and mentioned he was planning selling them on eBay but would give me a steal if I could come up with the cash. Since he has a Paypal account he told me I could just wire the money from the donations straight to him. Talk about a break!

11:00pm PST - Arrived at his house and picked up an Intel and MSI motherboard from my friend. They were given to me on loan so i could see if they would work and if they did I promised to pay him ASAP.

12:30am PST - Got everything hooked up quickly and found out that the first motherboard I tested supported this new processor and even better it was fully compatible with all the old hardware I was using.

1:00am PST - Finished getting the server put back together and found out the two motherboards were far too different from one another requiring a fresh reinstall of windows. Began installation followed by critical updates.

2:30am PST - With a fresh and newly patched install of windows I began reinstalling everything on the server one at a time. This included the mail server, obsidian, web servers, etc.

4:00am PST - Everything seems to be installed fine and the machine is now defragging and optimizing. I have to work in less then 5 hours so I am heading off to bed. Hopefully we'll have the server back up at 12:00pm PST (noon)

Once again if you were planning on donating to Obsidian I would like to stress you do it now. System upgrades are rare however costly and this will probably be the only time you'll ever see us actively seeking donations like this. I apologize if we seem desperate or needy, but to be honest we are if we want to get Obsidian back up and running flawlessly. I have no doubts it will be back up very shortly and I have no doubts you guys will pull through for the shard just as much as i've been pulling through. I wish you all the best and hope to see you ingame soon!

Last edited by Broadband on Tue Mar 09, 2004 11:28 am, edited 11 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:15 pm 
Don't you hate when that happens? My old computer's mobo fried, smoke and everything... took me a few months to finally have all the money at once to buy all the parts haha.. I hope its not the same here!!!

Post subject: hoh dam that sucks
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:16 pm 
arf...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:19 pm 
Ohh shit man... also assuming the p4 is also hyper threading you'll need a hyperthreading board to... theres about 200* to 300* at the cheapest.

*Note all prices in Aussie dollars ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:21 pm 
all i can do it make a promise of a donation on the 20th. Thats my payday!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:23 pm 
ill send more ill need the PO Box address again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:28 pm 
Shard Supporter (Donated)

This smells like a set up :shock: but ill send some but its still stinks they donate and bang bad luck hits us. more money neded pls donate hmmmmmm :?:

"Hells collector has been awaken. now his just waiting to get resurrected"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:31 pm 
if you dont like it:
1. Don't Pay!
2. Don't play!
3. Quit Whining!
Remember BB does this out of the kindness of his heart!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:32 pm 

read it again tigg before running ur mouth i say ill will donate jezz

Last edited by Alcapone on Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:33 pm 
u missed the point!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:33 pm 
I can donate a couple more bucks as well, the po box address would be helpful though, I agree. Credit cards drive me nuts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:40 pm 

the Po box is right there in donate on the shards website omg :?: hello :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:41 pm 
i think someone is being a little Testy tonight! Uhum.. *clears throat* :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:51 pm 
i buckled down and just used the paypal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:59 pm 
Site Admin

Bot Check: GAMER
I'm not ripping you guys off. Just had a turn of bad luck which blows bad.

Post a new topic Post a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 41 posts ]
Go to page 1 2 3 Next