It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 10:13 pm

Post a new topic Post a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 17 posts ]
Go to page 1 2 Next
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:11 am 

As some of you may know already my son has been playing lately. And I have been helping him train. One thing i have noticed is that when you start you have anywhere from 5 - 20 of pretty much all skills bringing your total skill points up to 660 or so. I think it is a bit much to have a brand new char over capping in about 3 days of training. Is there anyway we culd get that lowered?

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 11:31 am 

Bot Check: GAMER
Probably not lol. Buy the dirt cheap fff.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 1:39 pm 

hooks vendor for fffs is located just outside vesper bridge :)

i restock often.

Hook(Daemons)-Mild mannered reporter/Tamer
Mr.Obvious-SUPER Crafter

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 2:31 pm 

I have a gm fisher and all the fff he needs but that is not the point. What about the guy who just started playing the game and doesn't know anyone? He is supposed to waste time he should spend training looking for fff? Remember what it was like to be a noob starting your first char? It took forever to raise the 1k for a ride. Now they are supposed to buy a whole bunch of fff just so they can train? That is just stupid.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 3:03 pm 

I made a post about this A wile back and nothing happend...

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 3:41 pm 

Even creating a fisher is out of the question unless you become a race.

My cap on my fisher was 600+ and would have capped before getting to 80 fishing hadn't it been for races being implemented during my training period. I don't mind this all too much now that I have a fisher who can get me all the FFF, but I understand the situation for new players who don't know anyone, and for that matter, don't even realize there may be a cap on this game.

Maybe lower them to at least 10 and below? 20 seems a little much, especially for the useless skills.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 4:29 pm 

There are a possibility of a few solutions to this problem.

1. Reduce skills given to a player.
---- It is hard to determine which skills a player may want
-------- Most new players do not know how to buy "training" from a vender

2. Have a stone in City of Cove
---- Reduce selected skill to x amount.
-------- Players would have to be able to find stone
-------- Decreases possible fish a player might sell

3. Something with a forgetful fish vender
---- Buys fff from players
-------- Limit amount the can be sold to this vender per day/week
-------- Give revenue to fishermen
---- Where would this fish vender be placed?
-------- City of Cove best place but vets cant get there
-------- Possible solution. 1 vender to sell in cove. 1 merchant that buys from a different city/s.

Belgarion could you give more detail. What race is your son? What class is your son?

Note: These are possible solutions off the top of my head. Feel welcome to try and create others that might be good.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 9:26 pm 

I know the pain.. i have a gm fisher and i refuse to touch taht dude... just get rid of the new skills for new players and make the game easier not harder.. << we have strayed so far from this that its becoming hardsidion instead of obsidian.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:03 pm 

But this is hardly an ongoing hardship. Probably one of the last things to be considered for 'a fix'.

Sparger did hit on a good idea though. Have a single vendor in Cove that will sell only. Have vendors in each town that players can sell fish to for a lower than ideal amount. The nooblets buy for a cheaper price. Perhaps the vendor could buy and sell many items in the same way. It would be a way to help new players and help older players get rid of their junk. The vendors would obviously need to limit how much they can store of a single item.

But really, I think we have to all taste a bit of reality here. Ultima is out of date. It is not something people will just pick up and play anymore. Chances are, most people that would try Obsidian have tried other shards before and will be not totally lost. Anyone else that joins will be joining because they know someone. They will be helped enough. So all this anguish over new players being confused and left to the wolves is hogwash. What else is hogwash is people saying that everything is made harder and it should all be easy in order to be fun. While I do agree with that statement in general, it is being used way too much.

I think that people should pick their battles otherwise complaints become white noise. In my opinion FFF and starting skill levels are of the least concern. I remember when I made new characters that the skill levels were the same; why should that change now?

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:57 pm 

well, if the home page was updated prporly with all the new additions then the noobs would have a better idea of all of obs little differences.

i recently gmed mace fighting, and i made almost 400k in a matter of 2 weeks from training 95% in gy...i understand i had alot of the materials needed but i didnt really go through that much stuff, and bandies are cheap at vendors so unless im missing something, its not that bad to get gold for your stuff as a nooob. there are plenty of things that become much harder like str fishes after that, but not ffs, once ppl get going on shard there will be more vendors, so more abundant fish i would assume.

Hook(Daemons)-Mild mannered reporter/Tamer
Mr.Obvious-SUPER Crafter

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 5:50 am 

Yahoo Messenger: chipsll
noobs dont know how or are willing to do all that at first b/c they dunno what there pooring there time into falin....

I say just lower the NON-picked/non-MAIN skills.... (let the player pick the 2 skills that start at 50. or 3 or w.e and they the rest no matter the build be 5/10 or under

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 6:41 am 

Quote:
There are a possibility of a few solutions to this problem.

1. Reduce skills given to a player.
---- It is hard to determine which skills a player may want
-------- Most new players do not know how to buy "training" from a vender

2. Have a stone in City of Cove
---- Reduce selected skill to x amount.
-------- Players would have to be able to find stone
-------- Decreases possible fish a player might sell

3. Something with a forgetful fish vender
---- Buys fff from players
-------- Limit amount the can be sold to this vender per day/week
-------- Give revenue to fishermen
---- Where would this fish vender be placed?
-------- City of Cove best place but vets cant get there
-------- Possible solution. 1 vender to sell in cove. 1 merchant that buys from a different city/s.

Belgarion could you give more detail. What race is your son? What class is your son?

Note: These are possible solutions off the top of my head. Feel welcome to try and create others that might be good.
He is a human warrior created through the advanced option. So he got 50 points of the 2 skills he chose and 5 - 20 skill points of pretty much everything else. I think maybe the easiest way to fix this would be to put a limit on the skills not chosen perhaps less than 5. Perhaps there can also be something added to the tutorial about buying skill? I will be helping him create different chars down the road with different skills and races so i will post some more input later.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 10:41 am 

But see that's what sucks about creating a new character (especially a human character) and having the skill cap be so high. Reducing it would allow players a better chance to understand what they need to do in the game then worrying about constant need to lower their skill points every other day because they are about to cap again.

Also, in all seriousness, how many fisher do we still have on this shard willing to fish and sell?
If I had people to sell I would more than happy fish again. The other players I can even remotely see still fishing on this semi-empty shard is Falin & maybe Scud. Other than that no one really fishes much. Which would make acquiring these FFF a little harder for new players, unless they made their own fishers.

Anyways this has always bothered me because it seems you spend more time getting FFF, then actually enjoying the game. When I first started I remember players could go about 2 weeks before needing one FFF.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 1:12 pm 

My first sentiment when reading this (before I saw Sparger's post) was that the reasoning behind this is an economic and community one.

While it is a potential problem for new players to overcome, it does promote them seeking advice from other players which is important. It also gives the more experienced players an avenue to sell some of the more obscure FFF which is important for them.

If we removed this entirely, it would be penalising fishermen somewhat.

For this reason I think that Sparger's FFF vendor would be a really good idea. This means that fishermen can still sell these fish and new players find them more readily accessible than they currently do.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 2:31 pm 

So how would that work? would there be an npc that fishers could sell there fff too and in return the npc's could sell them to new chars? This in my opinion would be an excellent solution. I don't think we use npc's in obsidian to their full potential. We really more on msn and buying and selling which is sometimes hard to line up time wise.

Post a new topic Post a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 17 posts ]
Go to page 1 2 Next