It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 6:08 pm

Post a new topic Post a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
 Post subject: Vendor Situation
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 3:26 am 
Site Admin

Bot Check: GAMER
There has been alot of chatter in the forums about the vendor lodge and while I didn't want to make any official posts yet, it's fair you stay informed.

To make a long story short the vendors have been one of the main lag issues on Obsidian killing the CPU and eating up memory. Not pointing any fingers, but a few staff members thought it would be a great idea to expand the vendor lodge and move it for you guys so you could have more vendors and less crashes. Since I was away at the time they figured they would take it upon themselves to upgrade the vendors for you guys. Pretty cool if you ask me since it took them hours to handcraft the new area.

Unfortunately they added more and more vendors to the point where there were more NPCs then allowable by the server which began causing lockups. Additionally this began corrupting sections of data in the world and I'm pretty sure it's one of the major reasons people have been losing massive amount of skills. The server is designed to hold a maximum of 20 npcs in a region (64x64) and the vendor lodge had 50+.

I have been spending the majority of this weekend reprogramming the vendor system to make it more versitle and also to mimic OSI style. This means very soon vendors can be hired and placed at your house. Additionally you can have as many vendors as you want and because they're at your house this will keep them spread out so this doesn't happen again.

We are already beta testing this feature and you can see the first vendor north of Vesper Bank outside town where we are also beta testing the new reagent garden. Take a look when you get a chance.

As far as the old vendors are concerned, I am doing everything I can to recover them so you can retrieve your items, however I haven't had much luck yet so don't hold your breath. Yes it may happen, but it also might not. I apologize ahead of time if any of your old vendors are lost but it all comes down to the staff members having awesome intentions but not understanding what had to be done before execution and resulting in this unfortunate situation.

Oh a plus note the patch is coming along nicely and we have some amazing new features, rare items, monsters and more coming down the pike.

Hope you continue enjoying the shard and I will continue to optimize the shard as best as i can to make it lag free!

I understand many of you had many items on the vendors and/or money but do me a favor and refrain from bitching and moaning in the forums. You may infact get your money and items, and if you don't nothing was intentional and all your complaining will do is disincline me from spending so much time working on the shard. Lets all stay level headed and just enjoy the game while I try my best!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 3:36 am 

ya, its just ur items ppl, nothing more, u can always get new ones. About vendor system-- good idea, but after hiring a vendor would be cool if he was invulnerable. Other thing that it should be pretty expensive but without any taxes or salary after buying it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 4:56 am 
Shard Supporter (Donated)

im happy paying him a salary rather than 1 lump sum, it keeps me busy like house taxes do.
I love the idea of having vendor at your house, and it would mean i could travel all over obsi and have fun finding items and that at ppl's houses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 5:31 am 
Great news sorry to hear about people not getting their stuff back like, I lost most of my expensive stuff from my vendor twice in a week, but am not bothered now since we've had a little info on the subject.

I hope the vendors will be in safe guarded areas too otherwise we gonna have some serious pk problems.

Keep up the good work guys, but next time can you give us the run down earlier will cut down on all the bitching considerably.

Don't give up the Shard work is appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 6:20 am 
BB,

m8 thanks alot for the update on the regs and vendors amonst many other things i know its greatly appreciated by myself and many others. Thanks so much:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:06 am 
thanks for keeping us informed about the lodge.if the money and items are gone then well its not the end of the world.people can always rebuild what they had and sounds like its going to work out better than it was before. 8) and thanks staff for trying something new good effort and thats what counts. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:56 am 

Quote:
The server is designed to hold a maximum of 20 npcs in a region (64x64)
and the vendor lodge had 50+.
Does that mean ppl shouldn't have bigger than 20 sheep herds, too?

We'll never lose lag if yes.. :p

Post subject: testing
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 5:25 pm 
ive been testing vendors and such and i dont know if this has been found out but when you put a price on the item in the vendor and then someone buys it, it dont take gold away from the player who buys it, it just gives them the item. i tried it and it dont take money from the player. prob what happened when people went around getting everybodys stuff.
which is why the vendor dont get any gold.

if this was already discovered, please disregard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 5:59 pm 

That happens when you buy your own stuff from your vendor, you're just
given the items.

Post a new topic Post a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]