It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 9:30 am

Forum locked Post a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 5:49 pm 
ok i have recently like a few days ago read something about racism..... now i know im not one to talk but if staff is going to be such bitches about it then why not do something about their own racism.....

example.... the retard rickshaw boards.... not only are you guys using the term retard wrong but you are also using a durogitory term yourselfs.... now maybe all staff should be jailed for 48 hrs since they should know the rules very well....

and btw for all of you that think im wrong... look up the term retard.... they put stuff in there thats stupid not slow which is what retard means....

oh yeah... another thing i find funny.... there are many people that say racist remarks.... and none of them get in trouble for it.... so why not punish everyone? or are you guys going to continue to jail only the people you don't like?

-Impe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 5:57 pm 
Impe is right in a certain way. Remarks about handicaps or french people should not be tolerated more than remarks about pakistani's. Even if they involve *old rivalries*. I do not welcome them here. I could dig up tons of remarks about old rivalries that would not be accepted but do I do it.

No offense to Eggman. I know ur not like that as you have replied to me. You maybe just added a couple of useless sentences in tha post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 6:22 pm 
everyone has practically grown up, or learned to know that retard=retarded=idiot=mental patient=retard or retarded

Not many ppl use retard as what its supposed to mean...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 6:38 pm 
hmm i think people are beign pussys and need to get over it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 7:23 pm 
pussies yes they are... but if they are going to treat racism the way they do like me calling someone a (Racist words are not tolerated here. Consider this a first and final warning). er then why the f*** is retard allowed? just doesnt make any sense to me just a bunch of hypocritical bullshit and they need to fix it or just let everyone be with their racist remarks.
-Impe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 7:29 pm 
retard aint racist... There's retards in all cultures around the world, so its universal!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 7:54 pm 

Blob is right,everybody in obs has said somtin racist since theyve been here to sombody meaning it or not,also yes i find the retard boards very stupid as the forums r here so players can speak their minds,im not sayin for staff to tolorate every stupid thing that happens or every rule thats broken but not for them to show it off

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 11:02 pm 
it is to racist you f*** head. heres how its racist the word (Racist words are not tolerated here. Consider this a first and final warning). er or shit stick or tar role is durogitory towards black people the word kike is durogitory towards je wish people. the words spi c mexi grase packer wet back and many many more are durogitory towards mexicans and south americans. and tell me is retard durogitory towards the mentally handicap and/or physically handicapped...? tell me why is it ok to say retard and not (Racist words are not tolerated here. Consider this a first and final warning). er or spi c or kike or towel head for middle easterners hell why isnt sand (Racist words are not tolerated here. Consider this a first and final warning). er tolerated then? but why is it ok for the general population to say retard without anything happening to them? most people dont even f****** use it right in the first place. but its still ok for people to say it... how would you feel if lets say your mom was mentally handicapped... and i was to say "hey retard get the f*** out of the way" what would you do if i had said that and your mom was mentally handicap? i think you would take offense at that....

and for those of you who may think that i have a mentally/physically handicapped sibling your wrong but i do coach special olympics and find it very offencive and durogitory for people to use it even if they are using it the right way.

thats how it is racist and now please stfu for you have no knowledge what so ever if you do not see how it is. being racist doesnt matter about skin color you f*** face, or nationality, you can easly be racist to a person with mental/physical challenges.

so in short stfu your an ignorant fool and should be shot then skull f***** until i say other wise.

-Impe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 11:58 pm 
Quote:
so in short stfu your an ignorant fool and should be shot then skull f***** until i say other wise.

-Impe
ROFLMFAO!!!

harsh but funny. we are all ignorant too at some point of our lives lol give him a break will ya

:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 12:19 am 
This is going nowhere so it will now be locked.

Staff are bound by the same rules that players are. The fact that people have been allowed to continue and have even been "encouraged" by the bad example some staff are setting is sickening to me, and I assure you it is being brought to a quick and utter halt. Obsidian is in the middle of another one of it's yearly rebirth cycles, much like the pheonix, and as such a lot of the old tar will be burned off as it rebounds to glory.

In short: People are going to start following the rules, staff and player alike, or they will die off. Simple as that, no excuses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 4:26 am 

This is gonna be a long post, but I hope that most of you read it because it will clarify a few points :-

In defense of CV, who introduced the retard rickshaw:
Quote:
retard [Show phonetics]
noun [C] OFFENSIVE
a stupid or mentally slow person:
I'm not playing with him, he's a total retard.
You will see that the modern definition of 'retard' refers to a 'stupid' person, which is why it is actually, technically, an appropriate name for a forum for 'stupid' posts. While it is of course an offensive slur, this is towards the threads in general rather than the person at hand. 'Stupid is as stupid does' etc...

This is entirely different to the ultimately old-fashioned definition that you are taking severe offense to:
Quote:
the retarded
plural noun OFFENSIVE OLD-FASHIONED
people with slow development, usually mental development:
The programme offers intermediate care for the mentally retarded.
...which seems to imply a medical mental deficiency. This is the OLD-FASHIONED definition.

In addition, by definition this also does NOT constitute 'racism'. You are getting your terminology confused:
Quote:
race (PEOPLE)
noun [C/U]
any group into which humans can be divided according to their shared physical characteristics, such as skin color or hair color and type, or their common genetic characteristics, such as blood type
This rules out people with medical mental deficiencies as a 'race', because there is no shared common ground to define them as one - whether in terms of genetics, or shared characteristics (too many variables other than being mentally slow, which as we can all agree transcends race).

Quote:
racism
noun DISAPPROVING
the belief that people's qualities are influenced by their race and that the members of other races are not as good as the members of your own, or the resulting unfair treatment of members of other races:
The authorities are taking steps to combat/fight/tackle racism in schools.
The report made it plain that institutional racism (= racism in all parts of an organization) is deep-rooted in this country.

You can see that all this points towards traits of a particular race in terms of beliefs, origins, skin colour etc, not mental capability.

Next, on to your conduct on the boards (again):

Quote:
f*** head...please stfu for you have no knowledge what so ever if you do not see how it is....
-Impe

If this happens again I will be forum banning you for a week. I don't care what your motives are - there are ways to present your views and this is most definitely not it. While I agree that alot of what you have said is correct in principle - two wrongs do NOT make a right, and I will not tolerate this sort of language or flaming here. You have ignored numerous moderator warnings, and you don't even play anymore.

As for Hiroshi's statement, yes I believe he is correct. I myself have allowed myself to get drawn into a few arguments of late and after discussing this at length with GM Hydro I have rectified this situation. This is not hypocrisy, it is more that as staff we are constantly on a learning process and I know that I must remain diplomatic at all times. I was kinda dropped in the deep-end with little opportunity for training from the higher staff, but I hope that I have done well for Obsidian and will continue to do so.

However, I disagree with Impe in that we are not picking and choosing who to punish, or going easy on our 'friends'. Many of you will know behind the scenes that I most definitely HAVE jailed several people I would consider friends in accordance with the rules - and they took it completely on the chin. We have a job to do and must remain impartial.

I am concerned along with Hiroshi, however, that some of the comments from a few moderators of late have been entirely different and I will be keeping an eye on it.

I hope that you guys will understand that it is difficult to keep track of every small offense that happens on Obsidian. It would be entirely hypocritical of anyone (including impe) to dare to complain that we have not jailed some offenders while jailing others!

We can all put our hands on our hearts and admit that there is very few if any players here with a 100% clean sheet (be it a little flaming, macroing or whatever) - we are all human. Does that mean I should jail everyone? Jail party w00t! :P

Anyway, the fact of the matter is that when a single incident is brought to our attention by a player complaint with screenshot evidence then we must be seen to follow it up and make an example of an offender. Likewise if I see something with my own eyes I will act immediately. We are not an all-seeing eye, so we cannot be blamed if we miss one offender and discipline another.

Ultimately it is the responsibility of every player here to conduct themselves appropriately on this shard.

Forum locked Post a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]