It is currently Fri Jul 05, 2024 11:53 am

Post a new topic Post a reply Page 2 of 3   [ 33 posts ]
Go to page Previous 1 2 3 Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:18 pm 
Quote:
Quote:
i think it's pretty obvious why they wouldn't do that. Its too bad they couldn't but there are just too many that would just use it for there own gain, just like every bug they encounter. I know most of them have been banned already, but still you just never know.
There are obvious reason not to allow others to script. However, what i'm talking about is parts of the code which is non-critical. Say 2 more types of ore, ingots and armor should be added. I can't see any reason why not anybody could write such code. Only thing being important is quality assurance from Blinkers, BB, CV or Jorus (dunno who would do something like that).

There's also reasons why this is not such a good idea, i'm just tossing it up and hoping for a proper discussion.
I'll try to explain clearly :

It would be more work for BB and CV to figure out the code of what I should call 'Apprentice programmers' (Big bunch of code, no comment and a lot of unusefull lines).

Also we can't program a library or a class like that in black out, we must know how the server works, which is long and need a lot of good documentation.

Finally, each time someone send is work it would need a lot of work of implementation and testing, testing, testing, testing...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:14 pm 

Awesome Vid ,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:28 pm 

Yahoo Messenger: chipsll
awsome indeed

Is this the one that I JUST gave you?
I didn’t give you this to sell, I gave you this because I wanted to help you hunt, gain skills, and hopefully some day you would be getting your own You begged me for this, and then you turn around and sell it?
Quote:
woops wrong number its a +5 and no the one u gave me im keeping
sub zero- The SnowMan
interceptor- frost warrior
DK- pvm in training
chips- Lord of the Sea

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 11:06 am 

Quote:
I'll try to explain clearly :

It would be more work for BB and CV to figure out the code of what I should call 'Apprentice programmers' (Big bunch of code, no comment and a lot of unusefull lines).

Also we can't program a library or a class like that in black out, we must know how the server works, which is long and need a lot of good documentation.

Finally, each time someone send is work it would need a lot of work of implementation and testing, testing, testing, testing...
Hmm, gotta agree with some of these points. However, what i'm talking about is not 'apprentice programmers'. I feel pretty sure there's more than 1 professional programmer here.

I know it would require quite alot of work to browse throught the existing documentation, but it is possible. It is even quite common for a programmer to take on such tasks. I have done so myself more than once :(

As for the amout of work for BB and CV, it would be quite easy for them to toss away code without comments. So the question is if it's easier for them to write the code themself, or write down the requirements and check the finished code.

Bottom line, all this might be a stupid idea, but it should be possible to discuss ups and downs properly. Happy new year to all of you :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:59 pm 
Quote:
I know it would require quite alot of work to browse throught the existing documentation, but it is possible. It is even quite common for a programmer to take on such tasks. I have done so myself more than once :(
Which documentation? Obsidian is heavily modified Sphere core server, so no documentation on how we have to code. I even don't know if there's still some parts of Sphere core. All I remembre is that BB was running Sphere 0.55i long time ago and now the server have been customised. And imagine all questions that BB would have to answer. Nothing to have more time. Only more problems and bugs to resolve.

BB and CV could accept a new teamster tough but no code requested to the public. Obviously for security and performance reasons.

Boon, you have an optimist solution, but to hard to implement and to control.

And I think that BB want to keep a control over is own server. I remember that a GM have fked the server long time ago when he was on vacancy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:50 pm 

Quote:
Which documentation? Obsidian is heavily modified Obsidian core server, so no documentation on how we have to code. I even don't know if there's still some parts of Obsidian core. All I remembre is that BB was running Obsidian 0.55i long time ago and now the server have been customised. And imagine all questions that BB would have to answer. Nothing to have more time. Only more problems and bugs to resolve.

BB and CV could accept a new teamster tough but no code requested to the public. Obviously for security and performance reasons.

Boon, you have an optimist solution, but to hard to implement and to control.

And I think that BB want to keep a control over is own server. I remember that a GM have fked the server long time ago when he was on vacancy.
Actually, Obsidian is .51a not .55i and also, as far as I know, the scripting should be basically the same, the only differences might be custom commands and shit BB would of added to make it more verstile.

I agree with both sides, but f*** having us just throw scripts at them. If they want a scripter, let them hire one they want, otherwise you're just gunna get lame scripts getting thrown in there cause someone wants their char to PWN more.

Post subject: ^_^
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:05 pm 

i agree with ashes 100%

I didn’t give you this to sell, I gave you this because I wanted to help you hunt, gain skills, and hopefully some day you would be getting your own You begged me for this, and then you turn around and sell it?
Quote:
sub zero- The SnowMan
DK- pvm in training
chips- Lord of the Sea

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:55 pm 

It's hard not to agree with Ashes. I just wanna add a couple of comments.

BB getting someone to script on a regular basis would certainly be great, and is probably needed. Thing is though, that this person would perhaps be wrapped up with fixing bugs, balancing issues, doing respawing and such. The sole reason for me raising this issue was for more people to be involved with scripting. This would open up for some extra scripters making maybe quests or other extra features.
Quote:
I agree with both sides, but **** having us just throw scripts at them. If they want a scripter, let them hire one they want, otherwise you're just gunna get lame scripts getting thrown in there cause someone wants their char to PWN more.
^^ This is where i think you're wrong Ashes. Common scripters would not be able to tweak the server in a way where their char would pwn more. They just wouldn't be able to see the full picture, and would have to be involved with lesser and specific tasks. And knowing that each line of code would be inspected by staff anyhow, i don't think anybody would be stupid enough to write code which could corrupt the server or push things out of balance.

If it is so that the server is poorly documented, my entire suggestions falls though. In this case i will keep my mouth shut :(

I am indeed an optimist, and i hope both the pros and cons will be discussed.

Post subject: ,
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:12 pm 

well boon i think it would matter on how many scripters r workinging
b/c it would really only take one bad apple to screwthe whole thing up...i think :roll:

Quote:
sub zero- The SnowMan
DK- pvm in training
chips- Lord of the Sea

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:06 pm 
Shard Supporter (Donated)
Shard Supporter (Donated)

Scripting OBS should be left to the people who have been doing it. Scripting quests might be an option for other people to do, but whoever does it would need to have intimate knowledge of the way the shard is set up. I just can't see BB giving someone that much access unless they live down the street from him or something. He tried giving the required access for someone to script in his absence, and it backfired, BAD. Don't expect it to ever happen again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:44 am 

Quote:

^^ This is where i think you're wrong Ashes. Common scripters would not be able to tweak the server in a way where their char would pwn more. They just wouldn't be able to see the full picture, and would have to be involved with lesser and specific tasks.
Boon - I THINK you might have slightly misunderstood what he was saying!

He wasn't saying that someone would hack the server and script a pwning character - Relandi was saying that people would be constantly sending in lame scripts for BB's 'approval' because they figured that script would 'provide better gameplay' --> when in reality all they are doing is trying to change something to make their current character setup more powerful...

Of course BB would reject those, but it would just cause a backlog of reading through ridiculous ideas to find the one gem in the wild (so to speak) - which would render the whole idea a bit obsolete!

I figure we leave the scripting to BB and his team, and if he wants help, he probably knows the people whom he would like to ask! As it stands, Obsidian is the BEST customised version of UO I have played, and, to be honest, all it really needs is to be more stable!

I think your overall idea is good Boon, but I just don't think it is practical at the moment!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:05 am 

Yeah, that's what I meant.

GOOD ONYA MANN!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:32 am 

kk all,

i agree with most of what has come up here. Most was expected tbh.

It would've been cool though if we could not just make the shard stable and balanced, but also add alot of new features. Not big things, but loads of small quests and happenings. I have so many ideas, and i guess most of you too do.

Peace out, i will keep my moth shot on this topic from now on :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:08 am 

Quote:
It's not like that, it's good that you brought it up, maybe it'll spark something in BB's head or CV's or who knows.

It's just the whole idea of everyone throwing scripts at BB, when as it is, he already gets overwhelmed and takes breaks from Obsi.

I don't think another stress point is what he needs, to sit there and look through hours of mainly amatuer scripting (aside from the few others who can script good) That's like having to sit and read a dictionary, christ..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:47 am 

Quote:
Quote:
It's not like that, it's good that you brought it up, maybe it'll spark something in BB's head or CV's or who knows.

It's just the whole idea of everyone throwing scripts at BB, when as it is, he already gets overwhelmed and takes breaks from Obsi.

I don't think another stress point is what he needs, to sit there and look through hours of mainly amatuer scripting (aside from the few others who can script good) That's like having to sit and read a dictionary, christ..
Last words. I'm not insulted in any way. I just meant that the topic has been discussed properly, and there's not alot more to say for now. And, this time i will keep my mouth shut - not moth shot :D :D

Post a new topic Post a reply Page 2 of 3   [ 33 posts ]
Go to page Previous 1 2 3 Next