It is currently Tue Sep 24, 2024 12:14 pm

Post a new topic Post a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 26 posts ]
Go to page Previous 1 2
 Post subject: Re: Today's Patch
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:01 am 
Site Admin

For those who are bothering to read the thread, this is for you, since you've already shown the minimum level of actually caring by clicking the page 2 button.

My job is not to make you happy now.
My job is to make almost everyone happy later.

If you want fast gains, you cry.
If you want slow gains, you cry.
if you want to macro, you cry.
if you hate others macroing because it makes the work you did worthless, you cry.

There is no action i can do that will result in people not complaining. So if i seem cold to your "pain", that's why. Because i'd be putting up with it no matter what i do. Which makes it pretty easy to ignore and to look at the big picture, which i'm asking you all to do now.

Meditation sucks.
Why does meditation suck? Because it gains slow
Why does it gain slow? Because it was lowered because people were macroing.
Why were people macroing? Because it didn't gain fast enough for them.
This cycle's happened at least 3 times to meditation as people found new ways to macro it up to gm in 4 days.

Meditation is just my prime example because everyone knows what's happened to it.
Now, say you have two groups of players.
One who plays the game to raise their skills, the other who macro.

Broadband balanced the game to the macroers, normally screwing over the people who played.
I'm balancing the game to the first group.
The macroers should NEVER gain faster than the players, and in many cases will gain slower. But that's the price they pay for sitting around and doing no work.

What does this means? It means if you're gonna play the game, you'll get the appropriate games. Which means i get to make a few skills gain easier since they were pumped to be balanced to the macroers, and thereby FORCING everyone to macro them, which is annoying.

If you want to sit around all day and macro a skill, that's your choice. But you're not getting the same gainrate as people who actually work for it.
I'm not forcing you not to macro, it will just take longer if you do, but you'll be putting in less actual work, so it ends up being the same from your perspective. You just don't get the "Free quick ride of macros" anymore.

Yes i'll hear complaints, i'm ok with that. Because i'd rather the lazy people complain so that the honest people can feel some hardwork at their accomplishments.

Yes I run a thankless job. Yes no matter what i do, it will result in bitching from someone. Yes I do try to listen to you guys. But when you have literally everyone on the shard asking for conflicting things, you get things left to my discretion. And i'm sorry but i hope my near decade of time spent on this game counts for something in terms of judgement, likewise my more than decade of time spent on mmo's in general.

But yeah, don't let that detract the people who are out to find something to bitch about. Let them continue their complaints.
The rest of you try out the system and see if it affects you. It shouldn't. If it does on accident i'll check it on my nightly/binightly updates.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:10 am 

Bot Check: GAMER
Quote:
So we don't know if uo loop is macroing? I thought it was ok to macro if you weren't afk. Which brings me to my point. Why not just make an auto boot. When your afk say 2-3 min it boots you from the server. But idk that make more work. Just a thought :)
If you are using software or physical option to repeat an action over and over and over it is macroing. So yes, UOLoop is macroing. I imagine it could still be used for spamming healing while you fight tho.

Btw... fixed a couple punctuation errors in your post. :P

Fisker GM Fisherman
Noah [TLC] GM Lady Charmer
Pheonix PVM mage

How many staff does it take to screw in a light bulb?

One to script it.
One to debug it.
One to place it.
One to take the player pages bitching about it.
One to tell the others that they got it all wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:05 am 

lol thanks everyone knows i cant type so i lust leave it at that :) Any way i do get what bob is trying to do. But in this case there are alote of people saying the same thing if you took a vote i bet 95% would want the macroing. I was told when i first started that it was ok to macro just not afk macroing. But bob im with the rest and take it how you will in some cases you dont listen to players which in the long run is going to hurt the shard. But what do i know. Any way lets just give things a little time maybe it will be better like this.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:04 am 

Bot Check: GAMER
Yahoo Messenger: chipsll
Quote:
p.s not sure if this has anything to do with this topic as bob said it dont effect crafting... But training scribe on pinky i just burnt throgh 300 scrolls and tons of regs and not got a single gain. I was training at vesper bank and out of town so no idea what is causing me to not beable to gain?!?!? I dont .skilltest and it wasnt saying i couldnt gain from it so i guess i can? also i was doing a pretty high circle scroll so should 100% be gaining.
SAME THING I RAN INTO AT 30 mining on my new miner :/
couldnt gain at 30.7 real.... an hour for training with NO gain at 30.7 is ridiculous point, blank, period. thats why i asked if the macro thing was accidentally effecting crafting skills because gains seem to be taken out of the equation here xD

theres no conflicting views here, i guess its a bug?

but bob we all appreciate ur work, and we just want things to be like b4, (gains wise and balance wise) and it just seems like the extra is a bit much.
There is no conflicting views on this, I am sure everyone will agree.

I am just saying, can you please just make things like t3A which shouldn't be to hard because im sure you have access to the old scripts. and then after everything is bug free Im sure everyone will be happy, of course you'll get complaints for this but what can they validly say if everything is back the way it was?

open the account creation and THEN start adding things like this, because lets face it everyone on the shard now could have macroed it to GM already, so whats it hurting if they get a few more months to macro w/e there macroing on everyones GM'd characters lol, your talking to a bunch of vets also BoB you have to realize, making things like this will just drive away noobs in the future, and make players complain now, thats all i see happening.

but I know u care for the shard :) and your works not completely thankless,
cuz i thank you for all your efforts :)
same to echo

Last edited by chips LL on Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:18 am 
Site Admin

http://www.dxgaming.com/forums/viewtopi ... 50#p202750

I'm not gonna repost the same thing in 5 different threads.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:57 pm 

to be honest ..i think for the most part this shard has been getting better. But i think we deserve an explaination on macroing...

Is it only when using an outside program?
Is it only using an outside program inside of town?
Is it only when staying in the same spot, motion based gains?

I think for us to give your path a full chance, we should be able to know a little about it.

i sat in one spot and macroed anatomy...no gains.
i ran around ,macroing and not,...no gains.
i think thats a hard course to penalize someone that is running around in town macro or not macro...IF that is the way it is. like emma said , you got to keep the social aspect also.

I think that this shard would be damn near dead if it wasnt for you and some of the bugs you fixed. and some of the changes you have made. i just dont think that this one will fly..but ill give a try.

Hook(Daemons)-Mild mannered reporter/Tamer
Mr.Obvious-SUPER Crafter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:17 pm 
Shard Supporter (Donated)
Shard Supporter (Donated)

If I had to guess, the system is set to monitor gains in an area...usually an 8x8 tile area...if a gain is seen in that area, or someone has done the same thing without a gain in that area for a predetermined amount of time, then no more gains can be achieved in that area. I'm not sure the system would be entirely area specific, or character specific whiten an area...This is just a guess, but I've seen similar things on other shards, and it works well.

As long as the gains in normal game play are not overly long, I suppose this system will work.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:51 pm 

I am afraid i also see this as a punishment. There is no other way to look at it. Everyone said from day one that we didn't like the higher level for gains concept and even gave legitimate reasons for not liking it and we were basically told to stop whining and give it a chance. And that is exactly what we did and now that we have tried it and still don't like it for the exact reasons we explained before now we can have it sort of the old way but no more macroing? This seems like noone likes my idea so f*** you all to me sorry.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:18 pm 
Site Admin

Its not punishment, it's the alternative.
You all gave the new system a chance, and you didn't like it, so we moved onto the other approved alternative solution.
Believe it or not i do listen, once people give patches a chance and consider their merits or not.

And you can macro, just don't expect the same faster gains as you would get if you played instead of macro'd, because you are putting in less "work" for your gains.

And as for the guess as to what this system is, i can assure that it's much more complex then what other shards use. I don't do stuff half-assed. :) Not only are those(grid location based systems) easy to defeat but they fail to detect certain types of playstyles, and so in my opinion don't really do their jobs. I really am trying to go out of my way to make sure it never picks up a false positive.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:27 pm 

so azimuth..your saying that i would have to move 4-8 tiles after a certain amount of time or gains?

that doesnt seem right...for one too easy to get around.

now the only way i can see this working, is that if the system can pick up ONLY the exact same actions the pperson is doing for a certain time and shut it down. but if that person is adds something different in the mix...like talking to ppl or running over to buy regs while still macroing, then yu should still be able to gain. it adds the effect of you still being able to be social while you train.

im sure that idea has a flaw in it somewhere...lol..but someone will fix it. to make it more sensible.

and bob, im not sure if your considering one thing with that statement, it takes ALOT of work to get the resources that are required to macro up a mage. And its all going out and getting the gold or crafting to get the gold or hunting your ass off to get the regs. It took me a LONG time to get a good amount of regs collected...whether i bought them or hunted them, either way i had to be actively doing something to get those resources..and you cant macro any of that.

BUT the BIG question is...where is echo i thought we were going to yell at him...lol...jk.

Hook(Daemons)-Mild mannered reporter/Tamer
Mr.Obvious-SUPER Crafter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:43 pm 
Site Admin

falin - that's covered int he post in general discussion.

Post a new topic Post a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 26 posts ]
Go to page Previous 1 2