It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:00 am

Post a new topic Post a reply Page 1 of 5   [ 66 posts ]
Go to page 1 2 3 4 5 Next
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:04 pm 
Site Admin

All discussion on classes go here.
As last time, keep the bitching elsewhere.
And please read the news post, the class page in the shard manual, as well as the post UNDER the news post, so that you fully understand all information available before posting. Especially those of you who tend to form your own opinions and disregard whatever the other side says. I don't just write these for my own health.

Doing so will save everyone involved a lot of time and effort repeating stuff, so please READ. Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:22 pm 

Bot Check: GAMER
everything seems good to me, only that maybe mages should be proficient in light armor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:51 pm 

OK, now from the oldest newby on the shard...

All of my chars are human.

1. How does the race system work together with the class system?

2. Can my human warrior wield a bow?

3. Does he lose his mage skill?
or, end up a war-mage and lose plate mail?

4. If I choose to make a race char, will it also have the advantages that were listed previously for the races?
(such as night sight or teleporting to your safe place)

5. Or am I missing the point?
and the race/calsses are really human, warrior, mage, ranger, etc.
instead of human warrior, vamp warrior, human ranger, wood-elf ranger, etc.

Nash Fisher - Fisherman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:05 pm 

Yahoo Messenger: chipsll
1. How does the race system work together with the class system?

races determine what classes you can choose and the classes you can choose determine what restrictions the character has

2. Can my human warrior wield a bow?

yes, humans can weild them all and master all skills cept necromancy and they can hold all weps cept maybe a necromancy book

3. Does he lose his mage skill?
or, end up a war-mage and lose plate mail?

no, if he is human

4. If I choose to make a race char, will it also have the advantages that were listed previously for the races?
(such as night sight or teleporting to your safe place)

I think there completly redoing race stones they don't even work atm

5. Or am I missing the point?
and the race/classes are really human, warrior, mage, ranger, etc.
instead of human warrior, vamp warrior, human ranger, wood-elf ranger, etc.

yes, your missing the point completely
each races is different, the classes they will be able to choose gives them there restrictions, so you might be able to have magery on a vamp, but you have to choose the right class, which will probably restrict your archery. humans don't have classes so if people want mage on there vamp they won't be able to do all the warrior stuff because they have the extra 100 skill which is a + but the - side to that is that there stuck with that for ever

*disclaimer- if the previous info was false in anyway or causes injuries or bottly harm it shall no way be chips's fault*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:02 am 

Thanks chips.

That is what thought it might be, but i wanted to make sure. The thought of a "Warrior" class and it's limitations didn't look good for my "GM Warrior", or any of the other classes for some of my other human chars.

Nash Fisher - Fisherman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:17 am 
Shard Supporter (Donated)

this is very interesting, but it doesnt seem to work with humans, they will rule the races easily.

i seriously hope im wrong, but it just looks that way to me so far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:47 pm 

Will we get are Skilsl that we lost?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:18 pm 
Game Admin

First of all I have to say: I really like the class idea.

List of concerns:
1) Warrior class not able to use archery (I think that as a warrior class they should be able to use all weapons)

2) Mage class is not able to gm healing.

3) War-mage class is not able to gm healing. Likewise with the necromancer.

I just think for the pvp system to be the most fun, people need to have characters that don't appear to have massive limitations. All classes could be bulked up a little by these inclusions.

I know that giving archery to the warrior class would make the ranger class pretty much useless - so in the way of a compensater, ranger class could be upgraded to have their own class stone. The class stone could have abilities such as: improved tracking, calm animal and wilderness lore. This would make the roll of the ranger as more an animal tamer than someone to compete with in the pvp scene.

A special favourite of mine that I would simply LOVE to see brought in would be an arcane archer. If say the war-mage had a special ability to add spell effects to arrows maybe once or twice per day, that would be fantastic!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:38 pm 

In reality a ranger is useless as a fighter char anyway because bows are only good from afar. In PvP any char that sees you using a bow under the current system will know that you only use a bow and move in close to attack. Even in PvM all monsters move in to attack. Even monsters with ranged weapons like trolls and ettins move in to attack. IMO all this will do is basically make archery an unused skill and bows will be worth pretty much nothing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:06 pm 

Quote:
In reality a ranger is useless as a fighter char anyway because bows are only good from afar. In PvP any char that sees you using a bow under the current system will know that you only use a bow and move in close to attack. Even in PvM all monsters move in to attack. Even monsters with ranged weapons like trolls and ettins move in to attack. IMO all this will do is basically make archery an unused skill and bows will be worth pretty much nothing.
Took the words right out of my mouth.
I have a warrior with gm archery and I also have a gm fletcher.
So I would hate to see that happen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:36 pm 
Site Admin

Sounds to me like you are not using your weapons correctly.

I'll blame most of that on the nonparty system obsidian's been encouraging for awhile, but let me outline this scenario for you.

You have two characters, a ranger and a warrior.

Which one do you think will live longer vs mr. skeleton king?

The ranger.

Now, admittedly, both won't live very long period.

Now imagine if they both worked together, the warrior drawing the skeleton king's hits and distraction, while the ranger wails on him for damage.

That works pretty well. Such group activities is hopefully going to be encouraged now that, as you've found, dungeons are a little more treacherous, especially to imbalanced groups, such as all melee chars or all mages.

The same could be applied to pvp. One use i haven't seen of archery in a long long time is for team pvp battles. The warriors fight the mages, the bowmens job is to fizzle them, so even if they get away from the warriors they still run the risk of not casting all the time.

I do not see archery becomming a "useless and unused skill" just because every warrior won't have it. In fact i see it becomming more properly used, as a support skill by some characters. Especially not with the alterations to fletching. Not much, just bringing it more in line with the other weapon crafting skills and reimplementing some of it's basic perks.

As for echo's concerns, lets start from the top:

Warrior class is not able to use bows. This was covered already in many topics/discussions, so really no point going into it here.

Mage/WarMage/Necromancers can't gm healing. This is on purpose.
Healing was never supposed to be a magic users crutch. Especially, as most of you should have noticed already, that having magery skill at all increases your healing delay. Magic using classes have a magic heal to balance this out.

And yes, i agree that bulking up classes would be ince, and giving them all the ability to do everything, but again, that brings us back to the original issue. We are NOT overpowering or rebalancing the game to class/race characters. The game is supposed to be balanced to the 680 human.
The only way we're giving people everything without limitation that is by dropping everyone back to 680 skillcap and gm everything. and numerous players have already said they don't want that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:48 am 

Quote:
I do not see archery becomming a "useless and unused skill" just because every warrior won't have it. In fact i see it becomming more properly used, as a support skill by some characters. Especially not with the alterations to fletching. Not much, just bringing it more in line with the other weapon crafting skills and reimplementing some of it's basic perks.
This statement has spurred me into asking a question that has been on my mind for quite some time.

I have seen several allusions to enhanced Bowcraft/Fletching and am wondering if I missed a major post concerning what a GM in this skill is capable of producing.

I am VERY curious to know the exact details especially since one of my characters has had a somewhat lackluster career as a GM Bowcraft/Fletcher. Case in point: even though I have been able to make excellent bows/crossbows for monster hunting I was still always disappointed in the performance of what should be the pinnacle product of any bowcrafter: the Elven Bow.

Again, I probably shouldn't get into detail here until I can be directed to the proper forum/thread. I apologize in advance if I have totally missed something which might be very obvious. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:19 am 

Group hunting has always gone on anyway. But Sometimes it is just not possible due to timing etc. and that is a tactic that has always been used with warriors. I understand what you are trying to do here but I am going to tell you right now it won't work. Noone will choose a ranger char unless they are noobs and they will probably delete them once they learn the game better. You can mark my words noone is going to choose a char that is restricted to bows only plain and simple.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:17 pm 

his ar is so low he will die in seconds and his magery is even worse than before. (was 60, now 50) ranger is the coolest char ever but getting owned nonstop is no fun.

too bad daggars dont work maybe a ranger could be restricted to only daggar as melee or something.

if elven bows were working it could help.

arcane archer would indeed be hte awesome echo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:31 pm 

Yahoo Messenger: chipsll
excuse me if im wrong but i thought you were bringing in crafters with other seemingly useless skills to better there crafting , well you've been dropping small hints at it, and ill quote you later,

for example u said magery+ smith and animal taming= you can forge soul vikingsword of bear spirit or something like that
which would be cool cuz human and different races would have no way of forging the other races weps but maybe different versions of it which is awesome,
i would GM rape tinkering and magery and rape to create a magic pick axe of rapeage

Post a new topic Post a reply Page 1 of 5   [ 66 posts ]
Go to page 1 2 3 4 5 Next