It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2024 6:15 pm

Post a new topic Post a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ]

Do you want the time of day to be
Local (you go halfway around the world, it's the other time of day)  41%  [ 11 ]
Global (everywhere on the world is the same time of day)  59%  [ 16 ]
Total votes : 27
 Post subject: Day and Night
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:42 am 
Site Admin

Ok, poll of reality vs convenience here.

Currently in-game time is dependent on where you are in the world. The time in vesper is not the same as the time in yew.
There are a few in-game systems that use time of day already, and have for awhile, but a few more are going to be added relatively soon.
The biggest one people will probably care about would be vampires.

So, the question is.
Do we make time of day global, every place on the map is the same time of day, or do we keep it as it is, with half the world daylight and half night, constantly shifting.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, it's in other threads, but obsidian operates on a 4/3rds time difference. Meaning for every 3 real life days, 4 days pass in-game. So IF you log in one day in vesper and it's mid day, the next day you login at vesper at the same time, it's now morning, and the next day it's evening. So regardless of which option you pick, if you play at about the same time every day, you'll experience all different times anyway, so global won't stick you in eternal daylight or nightfall nor will local make you never goto certain areas because they're day/night.

Also whichever option is picked, i'll be putting up a useful calendar/light map to help people get a hang of the time difference. Not immediately, but it's on the list.

Benefits/Detriments:

Global Time:
You won't have to worry when travelling whether you hit day/night, but there is no cure for night if you'd rather it be day

Local Time:
If you don't like the time of day, you can go to other areas of the world
However this means it will require some work to keep track of things and if you're recalling halfway around the world you might be surprised.

Do NOT ask questions about vampires or other systems that use this system in this thread. Just state your opinion/reasons for global or local time of day/night

Post subject: Re: Day and Night
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:29 am 

Bot Check: GAMER
it would be awesome to have this time change

Weakest
Zoro
Void
Goku
Strongest

Cult of the damned

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:45 am 

I like the idea of having global time so that all areas are the same - it makes more sense... but at the same time keeping the 4/3 time structure so players still see a variety even at the same real-life play time each day.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:55 am 

it would make ppl move from vesper to brit from time to time.. that would make sence..
ill go with the time change

Weakest
Zoro
Void
Goku
Strongest

Cult of the damned

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:16 pm 

Personally I am all up for the time change. Like Weakest mentioned, it might get people moving aroung.
Would be nice to be able to chill at Brit bank again, or maybe move to Skara Brae or another town that has
been long called a 'ghost town.'

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:24 pm 

Yahoo Messenger: chipsll
its hard to say, specially when you don't really know the systems it's effecting, id say put the other systems in, until then just keep w,e we have now

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:43 pm 

I think a couple of you are getting confused by envisaging that this will create some incentive to move between towns based on time changes.

This is not the case at all.

If you read Bob's post carefully, he describes the current set-up as differing between particular areas, whereas the new proposal is to make the in-game time the same regardless of where you are on the server.

Personally, I think it would be interesting if Global Time were implemented, as it would give interesting opportunities for ingame mechanics such as Vampires which Bob mentioned.

It would also allow us to plan specific night-time quests/events etc, that all players could enjoy, and not run the risk of the experience being affected by different night levels in different places due to time.

While it is relatively easy for GM's to control the light in a specific zone, to have this automated on a shard-wide level I feel would be useful.

It's a simple case of weighing up the benefits. Is there actually any benefit at all to having different times in different places on the shard? No.

Is there a potential benefit to making the in-game time global? yes.

So I vote for the change.

NB: A pleasant side-effect of this in my opinion would be increasing the usefulness and demand of racial/alchemical/magical night visiou effects. If you know that wherever you go on the shard it will be dark during the current 'night' cycle, for example, you're more likely to seek out these solutions to the problem.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:10 pm 

Yahoo Messenger: chipsll
umm,, ya what thass said... OR no one will care besides vamps :roll:
and is it gonna stop them from going out and pvping? nah...
so it wont matter lol.
i think the random night/day thing we have now is great...
wanna go pk outside of shame? well hope its night time there....
globally its pretty much guarenteed,,, but like i said.. it really wont make anyone quit either way it goes lol

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:35 pm 

Realistically if you were to put obs on a globe i dont think the area would cover enough of the globe to be on seperate sides.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:42 pm 
Shard Supporter (Donated)
Shard Supporter (Donated)

If the other lands that we have..... Malas, Ilishenar, The Lost Lands, Tremmel (maybe not tremmel), Tokuno, and (if we get a client capable of handling it) Ter Mur......if these were opened up to us then I could see having them on a rotating schedule revolving around Felucca. but with our small world....well, lets keep it simple.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:23 am 
Site Admin

In terms of work, it's more work to make it global, but that's really trivial.

Really what it comes down to is do you people want a chance to be able toa lways stay in daylight by hopping aroudn the world, or do you want it to be forced day/forced night. :)

Right now they're about tied, global is winning by a bit, so unless things change, it looks like global is gonna win out.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:15 am 

Honestly I dont see a issue having it either way. However, the problems/issues of this sort of action always occurs after its been implemented. So as of now I say sure, go for it. Ill make my final opinion after its been implemented.

Post a new topic Post a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ]