It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:41 pm

Post a new topic Post a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ]
 Post subject: swords weapons
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:02 pm 

Bot Check: GAMER
ive noticed alot of the swords weapons do close to the same damage amount katana does the same as a viking, a ba does 1 more than those broadsword does less longsword does only 2 more i think there should be a bit more variance between the weapons i havent had a chance to look at all of them but i know that some do have more variance would just be nice to see atleast the one handed swords have a bigger variance...

Post subject: Re: swords weapons
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:40 am 

yep weapons are too weak in my opinion especially swords...you have to use a bariche with +5 or more to get decent damage...Andas for Archery...Xbows are doing constant damage meanwhile Bows are doing 4 damage most of the time...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:33 am 

DPS for all weapons was rebalanced to make each weapon useful in it's own right.

You should find that heavier, slower weapons do higher damage per hit but the reduced swing speed on faster weapons balances that out. It has always been that two handed weapons do more damage (as they quite rightly should) otherwise everyone would run around with a shield.

The best warriors always used to use 2hw for damage and swap to shield when necessary; for example right before a spell hits for a chance to parry, or to increase protection while healing yourself. This is where learning your class and timing are very important.

Try picking weapons to suit your opponent, too. It may be wise to use a heavier, higher damage weapon on heavily armoured targets to bypass the armour - but at the same time against lightly armoured / magic using targets there is an advantage to a faster swing speed.

However if you are finding that one-handed weapons are disproportionately weak so as to limit their use, then perhaps this is something we should be looking at. Particularly as magery casting times have been reduced 20%.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:32 pm 
Site Admin

They're not.
All he's saying is that most 1 handed swordfighting weapons do close to the same damage because they all have close to the same swing speed.
Which is true, given as most of the swords we feature are around the same "type" of weapon, with exceptions.

So now the question is how do you want the one-handed swords to scale, which ones currently are too fast/slow for your likings.

Broadsword
Viking Sword
Cutlass
Katana
Longsword
//Others left out because those are the 5 most people care about.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:35 pm 

in my mind this is how they should unfold fastest to slowest as it stands right now a katana does the same damage as a viking sword they will be placed in order of speed.

katana light nimble sword dont see it having the weight to break tough armor
cutlass really only good for slashing anything with armor will usually handle a weapon like this with ease
broadsword decent for slashing and piercing bit faster imo than a long sword would be
longsword same as broad but i think you can get a higher swing speed due to the whipping action caused by the length of it
viking should be the slowest sword doing the most for 1 handed weapons i believe it carries the most weight out of them making it good for piercing and slashing.

btw battle axes currently do like 1 more dmg than a sword...

fencing weapons are pretty good as they stand never seen a real problem with how each of them deal damage. one thing i was wondering since this is a topic for 1 handed weapons mainly is can the short spear be put back to a 1 handed weapon since allll the animation for it is as a 1 hander... was its original intention just reduce the damage for it a bit to balance it out.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:56 pm 

Isn't by definition tho a broadsword a bigger 2 handed weapon and should be slower and harder hitting?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:52 pm 
Site Admin

All weapons have the same speed they've had since obsidian opened, all i did was adjust theri damage so they all are "equally" worthwhile to use.
Hence why some weaps who've had teh same speed for ages now have the same damage to prevent one from being "better"

As long as people agree what weaps should be faster than others, i don't mind changing em.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:32 am 
well wepons should have like a chart:

e.g (this is just a rough guess on hits with a like +7 wep)
macing: War hammer is 2 handed so hits like 40 if its magic hits +10 if the magic hits like lighting fire etc
Hammerpick Maul etc - 1 handed weps 30 if its magic hits +10

Swords: Battle Axe two handed weapon so hits like 35 if magic hits +10
long sword one handed wep so hits 25 if magic +10

macing hits harder but is slower than swords
Swords hits slightly less but its faster

Never used this wep so not any good at names etc
Fencing: pitch folk 2 handed so hits like 15 if magic +10
Kyress one handed so hits 10 +10 if magic

obviously hits less than swords and macing but its very fast (for every sword or mace hit it wud hit roughly the same damage) E.G one mace hit is 30 3 kyrss hits is 30 so the time of 3 kyrss hits to one mace hit if that makes sence.

obviously this wud have to be done alot better but im jsut putting a rough idea out there

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:53 am 

Quote:
Isn't by definition tho a broadsword a bigger 2 handed weapon and should be slower and harder hitting?
always thought broadswords were wider and shorter... i dunno

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:15 am 

Broadswords by definition are just big 2-edged swords. Hand-grip can vary I think.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:56 pm 

Quote:
Hand-grip can vary I think.
thats what she said

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:36 am 

You may debate some of this, but I'll describe them as I would have done as an AD&D DM following a little research.

Broadsword: A wide-bladed, straight, double-edged, one handed sword weapon. Primarily used for slashing.

Longsword: A long, straight sword that tapers to a point. Longswords were actually typically wielded with two hands, but some were designed to be wielded one-handed for slashing or thrusting. The longsword blade was thinner and pointed - particularly in later medieval times - in order to be thrusted to penetrate gaps in armour, as cutting / slashing swords were less effective against the prevalance of full plate or even chain/ringmail armour. Later in the middle ages the 'hand and a half grip' variant appeared (often called a Bastard Sword) and was somewhat in between the one and two handed longsword varieties.

Katana: The Katana, or 'Samurai Sword', is Japanese and is the longest of the swords that a Samurai would wield typically 24 inches+. The Katana is recognisable by a curved, slender, single-edge blade and a long enough hilt to be wielded with both hands. The slender blade of the katana is well suited to thrusting but primarily it is renowned as an extremely sharp slashing weapon.

Cutlass: A cutlass is a short, broad sabre or slashing sword - with a straight or curved blade and sharpened at the cutting edge. Typically known as a sailor's sword, primarily because it was robust enough to cut heavy ropes, canvas, wood etc but short enough to be used at close quarters.

Shortsword: The shortsword, being notably shorter than a longsword, has taken on many guises over the ages. Typically, this weapon served as a sidearm due to the reduced reach or power compared to more prominent weapons such as the medieval longsword. Better known examples are the Roman Gladius used by gladiators - a short, straight, wide-bladed shortsword with a pointed end for thrusting. Medieval variants were narrower and a little longer, like small longswords, again tapering to a point to be effective against armoured targets. Another well-known variant is the Wakizashi, worn by samurai as a side-arm to supplement the katana - very similarly designed, only smaller.

Scimitar: A one-handed, curved, single-edged blade. Typically shorter and wider than a katana.

Viking Sword: As long as a longsword, but with a wider blade (narrower than a broadsword) and a bit less tapered than a longsword. These swords were made distinctive by the deep grooves along the middle on each side (known as a fuller). These reduced the weight of the weapon, allowing it to be swung faster and more accurately, and wielded with one hand.

I won't get started on fencing weapons - while technically many of them are still swords, that is a different topic.

On another note, I've always considered it a shame that there are no two-handed sword weapons in Obsidian? That would be pretty cool, rather than everyone using axes.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:01 am 
Broadband had one lol :P was like an excalibur sword lol

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:42 pm 

Quote:
Broadband had one lol :P was like an excalibur sword lol
There are all sorts of weapons on the shard that players do not have access to but any GM can create them. Technically all the ninja stuff is in there we just don't use it.

I'm talking about actually implemented for the players to use :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:35 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Hand-grip can vary I think.
thats what she said
Then I came.

(err... sorry, off-topic)

Thass has left some good definitions here. Also, I'll add this from Wikipedia's entry on 2-Handed Swords:
Quote:
Two-handed sword
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A two-handed sword, used as a general term, is any large sword that requires two hands to use, in particular:
- the European longsword, popular in the Middle Ages and Renaissance.
- the Zweihänder sword favored by the Landsknechts of 16th century Germany.
- the Scottish claymore.
- Asian two-handed swords include the Japanese Uchigatana or Odachi, and the Chinese Wodao and Zhanmadao.

Note that some of these swords, such as the Scottish claymore, are actually intermediate in size between a true two handed sword such as the Zweihänder and a one handed sword. For a user of sufficient strength, the sword could be used one handed, although many users would wield it with two hands. Refer to the Bastard Swords under the Longsword reference.

Post a new topic Post a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ]