It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 12:17 pm

Post a new topic Post a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 16 posts ]
Go to page 1 2 Next
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:42 am 
Site Admin

Alright, so a thought occurs to me.
Basically, the thought is that right now monsters have lots of different things that affect combat, but in reality it really only provides a few actual things.
A monster has hitpoints, armor, and defense skills.
Defense skills help hits miss/etc, armor reduces hit chance and damage dealt, and hitpoints are the life-force.

Well a lot of combat seems to be spent hearing clangs and misses and etc, without seeing any red numbers above the heads, which can get rather boring. Then suddenly boom a -30 or -40 takes off a lot of health.

So my thought is, how about for most monsters how about we remove their armor and defense skills and just adjust hitpoints accordingly, that way you can see the progress of a fight?

Let me hear your thoughts.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:10 am 

Bot Check: GAMER
It sounds like a good idea in theory, but I don't know.. might be more worth your time to focus on something else because it'll take ya a while to edit nearly every monster mobile script.

I think the system feels fine the way it is personally.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:18 am 

Yes Bob...this is a great idea seriously... hey Jiz if he is suggesting it it means he can handle it.. lol

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:05 pm 

It wouldn't hurt giving it a try.... sounds like a cool idea.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:18 pm 

I think this is an amazing idea, but you have to be sure this dosent make fencing super powerful, since they have no armor.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:28 pm 
Shard Supporter (Donated)
Shard Supporter (Donated)

how bad would something like this effect spell casting monsters? Wouldn't they be fizzed with every hit?

I'd like to see this as a trial on a few select monsters at the bank or in an event. Would that be possible?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:55 am 

i dont like it at all. too many things could go wrong here. what about mages and resist? melee skills would own on a monster, cause they would never miss, but spells would still get resisted(alot). i cant imagine ADDING life to king goo goo...lol. plus there are alot o monsters that are harder now for mages and some for melee chars. this would take diversity out of that, like king goo goo is hard to hit with melee but easy to hit with spells, and alot o new bosses, the spells are "not very effective". but melee works well against, kinda screws mages a little i think, hunting ones anyway. my bears would own though...lol.

Hook(Daemons)-Mild mannered reporter/Tamer
Mr.Obvious-SUPER Crafter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:55 am 

Quote:
i dont like it at all. too many things could go wrong here. what about mages and resist? melee skills would own on a monster, cause they would never miss, but spells would still get resisted(alot). i cant imagine ADDING life to king goo goo...lol. plus there are alot o monsters that are harder now for mages and some for melee chars. this would take diversity out of that, like king goo goo is hard to hit with melee but easy to hit with spells, and alot o new bosses, the spells are "not very effective". but melee works well against, kinda screws mages a little i think, hunting ones anyway. my bears would own though...lol.
most if not all mages polly and hunt anyways so they are using melee and from my hunting days i would hunt with bears all the time....if you are grandmaster at anything you should not be missing 70% of the time.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:15 am 

Sounds a really good idea, *however* has the potential to seriously imbalance PvE in the favour of poly mages / warriors.

Although I'm sure most mages use Poly for PvE, for those that don't it's worth bearing in mind. We'd need to set resisting spells to 0 for all monsters accordingly.

I do like this idea, though. It would certainly make PvE more 'consistent', and would doubtless make hybrids more attractive for PvE too.

It would also make ranged classes more fun to play, because if an arrow almost always 'hits' then there is the perception of less ammo being wasted - even if the reality is that HP has been increased to balance this.

I actually have a slightly different suggestion on the back of this.

Instead of completely rebalancing the monsters, perhaps we could have these kind of things implemented into Debuff spells or abilities?

There is currently no true 'utility/support' class in Obsidian such as a minstrel/bard.

It would truly be great for group play if we gave these abilities to such a class. Buff party members, and debuff monsters in terms of resisting spells/armour/dodge etc.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:10 am 

Quote:
Sounds a really good idea, *however* has the potential to seriously imbalance PvE in the favour of poly mages / warriors.

Although I'm sure most mages use Poly for PvE, for those that don't it's worth bearing in mind. We'd need to set resisting spells to 0 for all monsters accordingly.

I do like this idea, though. It would certainly make PvE more 'consistent', and would doubtless make hybrids more attractive for PvE too.

It would also make ranged classes more fun to play, because if an arrow almost always 'hits' then there is the perception of less ammo being wasted - even if the reality is that HP has been increased to balance this.

Instead of completely rebalancing the monsters, perhaps we could have these kind of things implemented into Debuff spells or abilities?

There is currently no true 'utility/support' class in Obsidian such as a minstrel/bard.

It would truly be great for group play if we gave these abilities to such a class. Buff party members, and debuff monsters in terms of resisting spells/armour/dodge etc.
yup.....love that last suggestion ..

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:57 am 

Quote:

this isnt warcraft/lineage/dark age of camelot/everquest or any of the other mmorpgs the biggest reason ultima online is the shit is that there isnt those buff/debuff classes and adding those in would make this game shitty just like all those other games that are quest centric and not pvp centric like ultima.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:09 pm 

Yahoo Messenger: chipsll
id say test it... if it doesn't work oh well scratch it,, if it does.. were good :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:43 pm 

yeah prolly do one week test like last time.

Hook(Daemons)-Mild mannered reporter/Tamer
Mr.Obvious-SUPER Crafter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:12 pm 

I like the idea of testing it at something like a monster bash instead of globally. I just don't like the sound of this...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:43 pm 

Doesn't seem like a bad idea to me aslong as mages (not Poly) recieve some sort of compensation. Like no resisting i guess or more dmg against monsters. We should have a monster bash to test it tho

Post a new topic Post a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 16 posts ]
Go to page 1 2 Next