It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 3:44 pm

Post a new topic Post a reply Page 1 of 6   [ 76 posts ]
Go to page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:52 pm 
Staff

Bot Check: GAMER
Yahoo Messenger: v_laurence
Yes, you read it right. Soriathus' Guide to the Tamer has become CyberVic's Skill Guides. I plan on making skill guides for everything including the lame mundane skills noone uses. Every skill has it's merits and I want to show why. Please if you have any comments, suggestions, or have information to add to any guides I'm working on or will have soon, please let me know.

http://www.victorlaurence.com

Last edited by CyberVic on Sun Mar 28, 2004 6:24 pm, edited 14 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:13 pm 
Staff

bump

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 7:19 am 

you need to use the skill through the gem skill in skills list. you need magery to use this skill. you need to already know the spell you want to scribe. spells you can scribe are spells you can cast. you need reagents and scrolls to make new scrolls. you can make money off this skill with time

there's info on miner's diary in skills guide, about other skills

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:11 pm 
Staff

I now have over half of the skills with guides. 30 of 50 to be exact.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 2:02 pm 
You can mine rusty at 55% real.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 2:26 pm 
Staff

Thanks tanis, updated it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:28 pm 
Well I got some GM skills, but it's back from the days, and things like alchemy and mining have changed a bit

but here goes

Alchemy: Tougher potions seems to give more gains, so if you have the cash, try to do the toughest potion you can, at 70% do some stone wall by gathering bones from skellies
Anatomy: Cheap way is to do it on yourself again and again
Animal Lore: Can do that on yourself too
Animal Taming: have no idea, never GMed that, made me sick :P and I didn't try with the new system anyhow
Archery: shoot until you can't anymore :P there's two bugs for this, but I doubt it's legal :P
Arms Lore: You can just do Arms Lore on a weapon until you can't anymore, or you can just repair items, it raises MUCH more faster (GM in an hour, though I don't know if it's legal or not, but that ain't for me to decide :P)
Begging: I know I did GM that on another 51i shard by doing it on myself, but it's really slow, maybe doing on NPCs should be faster
Blacksmithy: Daggers :P and if you're as intense as Iceblade, fight with the daggers you made (daggers break in 3 shots I think) to GM fencing easily, but if you need cash, make gorgets
Bowcraft Fletching: make arrows one at a time, to do this without separating each one, put 2 single shafts in your pack, then the rest, use the first shaft, then the second, and while using the second, it should go pick up in the bundle
Camping: Never GMed that, but I guess you'll have to make alot of campfires :P
Carpentry: Clubs are what seems to give the best gains out of the ratio (on another shard I even discovered it raised more while polymorphed in a dragon :P)
Cartography: This is the kind of skill that makes you sick to GM because vendor sell only one map at a time, but I think making maps is the only way :)
Cooking: Well that with fishing is the way, fish up fishies, cut them, cook them, and it should be up quite fast, or you can always kill bulls, but raw ribs are heavier than fish steaks
Detecting Hidden: well... just do it :P (raises faster if you discover hidden things, so if you have a friend trying to raise Hiding of Stealth, practice this besides him)
Discordance: I think it doesn't work here, but there's no easy way here
Evaluating Intelligence: No easy way here neither, do it on yourself
Fencing: FIGHT! Dagger are the fastest weapons in here, but break in three shot, sync this with blacksmithy for free daggers to spare :)
Fishing: Well... fish! :) (you can fish through the docks if the docks are over water, little hint :))
Forensic Evaluation: One skill that doesn't do much, and takes time to GM, but if you really want to, kill things, and evaluate that you killed them :P
Healing: Healing is a good thing, to get yourself in a fire field while you heal yourself is probably the best way, but if you don't have the cash or skills to firefield yourself, just tag along some people in dungeons, and heal them, gives good raises, and people will like you :)
Herding: Best way I think is to trap an animal and then tell him to go over there, or over where he is, even simpler, hehe
Hiding: No magic trick here, do it, but stealth is better and since the skill caps, you may want to use stealth :)
Inscription: This is a hard one, make scrolls, the higher your magery, the less you miss, the higher your meditation (or your mana refresh potion stack :P) the less you'll have to wait :)
Item Identification: No magic trick here neither, use on an item
Lockpicking: I didn't try since my recent come back, but I know that back in the days, it was easy to get from 25 to 50 in despise lvl 1, then 50 to 75 in lvl 2, and so on, don'T know if lockpicking changed
Lumberjacking: Chop down trees like crazy
Macefighting: I think the fastest weapon is the smith hammer, but usually magical hammerpick are the bomb because they are usually one handed and really strong, but it seems that black staves give good gains
Magery: Never GMed it on Obsidian, but I know someone who did, hehe, but I doubt he'll like me to tell tricks, so I'll just shut up :)
Meditation: Well... use the nice hats, but I don't like it now, anyhow, I got potions :)
Mining: Smelt the ores one at a time, such a drag, but worth it in the end
Musicianship: Well this ain't hard to raise, play music and get flamed for it, but if you want to raise another bard skill at the same ime, musicianship will raise anyhow :P
Necromancy: I'm forbid to tell any of you, mouhahaa
Parrying: One good thing is to surround yourself with fast ennemies and get hit while wearing your shield, should raise fast, but one thing I noticed, the harder the hit you receive, the more likely your parrying is to raise :P (that means surround yourself by 8 ogres and watch the gains.. before you die :P)
Peacemaking: another not-working bard skill, just use it for fun
Poisonning: I don't think this skill is worth GMing, but while having alchemy to supply poison, poison some blades (the title is cool though, Assassin!)
Provocation: Damn there's alot of bard skills :P
Remove Trap: Try to find a trap to disarm it, watch out, they hurt when you miss, I've seen one in despise if you can't find one
Resisting Spells: Well.. before the great trick was an energy field, but now fields don't do much :P so just fight the orcs in the desert, damn I want to destroy them after 30 seconds :P (well in fact, any monster casting magic is fine, that way you don't spoil regs on yourself :P)
Snooping: This was taken out, and I believe it's in part because of me and my Yuriko :P But to raise it, the best way is to have friends to train with, and do a macro Last Object, Close Bumb, then use the backpack of someone else, and do that over and over again (the close bumb is to close the backpack once it's opened, because it gives more gains when you actually open it rather than looking in an already opened backpack)
Spirit Speak: Speak to your imaginary friend more often :) But it seems there's nothing to raise this faster
Stealing: Again, this is rendered useless, but to raise, the best way is between 2 thieves, each steal things from one another (if you target the sprite of the character you'll randomly steal something from him, including the stuff he's wearing or newbied item)
Stealth: I've noticed that when your high up (70-80) it gives more gain out of walking in the shadows rather than just keeping your finger on the macro :)
Swordsmanship: Fastest weapon is the Cleaver, but it breaks rather fast, one thing that my friend did was to kill everything that moved, and he does have higher swordsmanship than me :P
Tactics: Well no magic tricks, Fight until you become... a Grandmaster Warrior!
Tailoring: The art of making money... with money! :P Fancy shirts are what are supposed to be the best bargain, bandanas are what costs less, but I was told by at least 5 different people that robes gave the most gains, but I didn't see the difference, see for yourself :)
Taste Identification: Quite a fun skill, I don't know if it's fixed, but I know that back from the days, you could raise this over 100 :P but anyhow, to raise it, well you can taste yourself :P
Tinkering: Lockpicks! takes one iron ingot, so sync this with mining and have fun, or bottles if you have an alchemist :)
Tracking: Best trick I see with this is to be somewhere with no one around, and search for people, or try to search for monsters in town, you won't find anything, but hey, it raises anyhow :)
Veterinary: Well... I guess you could want to raise this... :P Maybe you want to train your horse in wrestling and you battle with him, you may want to heal it :)
Wrestling: Spar with a friend like half of the shard do, everyone becomes Grandmaster Wrestler sooner or later :P

Have fun! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:13 pm 
Staff

Ok I'm not making "the cheapest way to GM a skill guides". I'm making skill guides for noobs who have never used the skill before as well as give information on what they can look forward to when they GM the skill like carpentry you can make stuff like looms and anvils and crap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 7:43 pm 
Well if this is any help, Mustangs tame at 90+ depending on colours too
90-99, Brown at 90, Orange at 91 etc...... and Red being 99

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 9:37 pm 
To BB or whomever puts these things up there can we get this site on the main Obs site under player ran sites? i think thatd be a fitting place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:07 pm 
Staff

Yeah I already talked to him about linking to my site. He's just gotta get his car and then he'll be back doing crap again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 4:03 am 
Cheapest ways? there's far cheaper ways, but oh well
Nah, I'm only joking, well... actually no, but...
BAH!
To all the ones who aspire to be a miner only to make black rock, don't do this only for the black rock or you'll feel you've wasted your life, lol

I could tell a thing or 2 about alchemy, but there's already a fine chart with everything on it
But Greater Mana Refresh are worth it :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 8:38 am 

u have one error with ur mining guide, u can mine and smelt bronze at 65%

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 11:42 am 
way to go cyber :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 1:16 pm 
This is really good Cyber, nice work :)

Post a new topic Post a reply Page 1 of 6   [ 76 posts ]
Go to page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next