It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 8:31 am

Post a new topic Post a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ]
 Post subject: Just a question.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:33 am 

Bot Check: GAMER
It's more about the forums then the game.
Just curous as to why old accounts were deleted.

Some of you may remember me.
Any who, I've been going through some bad times in my life, I figured I'd come back and settle down to a relaxing game instead of getting mad going out and getting arrested for tossing public garbage cans at cars on the road, or knocking over mail boxes and shit... them mail boxes are heavy, I dented them kicking them before it would fall over XD....

This topic my be irrelevant, and I know this, but please dont lock until an answer is issued. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:52 am 

I know some forum software has a function to "maintain" the board by deleting all posts and accounts which have been inactive beyond a certain date. I would imagine this to possibly be the case.

Oh and when I was your age... we used aluminum bats for those mailboxes ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:21 am 
Are you talking about game accounts being deleted, or forums accounts being deleted?

The auto-matic game account removal, is a built in system and really has nothing to do with the forums. Dead game accounts will be deleted, because that is the way the admin wants it. This helps prevent old accounts possibly being abused. Also frees up room on the save file. Which in the end means less lag for you if ancient accounts are deleted.

Now for the forums, forum accounts don't really use up space or resources. They do but it is so minimal, that forum accounts aren't removed. I hope this kinda answer what you were asking, if i got your question right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:32 am 
Shard Supporter (Donated)
Shard Supporter (Donated)

He was on about the Forum
Quote:
It's more about the forums then the game.
Just curous as to why old accounts were deleted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:40 am 
Ya I read that wrong sorry. Don't have answer for you on that one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:10 pm 

It has been noticed by staff that some forum accounts have been deleted. The amount of people who have forum administrator access to do this kind of thing is very limited. In fact, I am the only forum admin who does not have full admin access on the shard itself!

If we rule out malice or deliberate action on that basis, then the most likely reason would be some form of auto-pruning system based on activity. However, if that was the case then we would have far less accounts left than we do currently (2100+).

I guess a system/server issue is possible (however improbable). I am, however, unable to view the auto-pruning options of the message boards - I get an error message if I try to load them, so I can only presume that data is deleted/corrupted or BB has disabled them himself.

In short, this is an issue known to staff and it is not intentional. I severely doubt BB would auto-prune the forum users, because one of the greatest player acquisition tools we have for a recruitment drive (eg after a new patch) is the forum mass mailer!

I would be more than happy to rename your account email address to the same as your old one to fix this issue? Unfortunately I cannot amend your post count, though. Please send me a PM.

Last edited by Thassius on Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:13 pm 

Quote:
The auto-matic game account removal, is a built in system and really has nothing to do with the forums. Dead game accounts will be deleted, because that is the way the admin wants it. This helps prevent old accounts possibly being abused. Also frees up room on the save file. Which in the end means less lag for you if ancient accounts are deleted.
99% of the time accounts are done manually, not "automatic".. I know of accounts that haven't been touched in 2 years that still work, and I also know of accounts that haven't been used in 5 months and those ones are gone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:17 pm 

Thats the thing, the automatic account removal is not enabled on the forums, and I can't think of anyone with the required access who would manually delete accounts seemingly at random.

The mind boggles...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:41 pm 

Maybe he´s old enough to never made an account on this forum cause if i can recall correct we had a different forum a few years back right?

I hadnt touched my account for almost 3 years and it was still here btw...

Berzerkers of Flame [BoF]
Master Berzerker

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:40 pm 
I think Emo is right about the 'in-game' accounts (that the automatic deletion of accounts is either not enabled, or not working)

If I'm remembering the right spawn, then I think he used his forums account within the last year?

Whatever the case, it seems Thassius is on the case - let's hope we can help you Spawn28 as you PM Thass!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:28 pm 

Yahoo Messenger: dedommanger
does it have ne thing to do with why peoples avatars went buh by?

or when the server went all white for a few minutes?

Ankhesenamun
Dedo Serenity
Fisherwmn
Ruby Estella
Enchantress

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:36 pm 

Then it look like some one manualy removed in-active accounts, goto page 4-5 of the help/support, and you will see that most of the accounts are in white, meaning deleted/guests.

Anyways, long time no see thass, does Cyber_Vic, and Echo, and BB, still roam around? some old gm's/admins I remember...

Post a new topic Post a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ]