It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 8:36 am

Post a new topic Post a reply Page 1 of 6   [ 77 posts ]
Go to page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 11:33 pm 
Site Admin

As I said in my previous posts, it's my intent to ensure that people at least know what's going on and why. In return i ask that you all be understanding, and know that while we have done our utmost to avoid stuff like this and downtimes, sometimes circumstances are out of our control.

We have approximately 23 hours, give or take a couple, until time stops again. It is unlikely in that time that the patch will be implemented.

Broadband has had some unexpected circumstances arise with work, and has been literally out of contact of pretty much everyone for the past week, so much work couldn't get done.

However on that same note, I would like state that I myself have had issues pop up, some of which i shouldn't have let interfere, and so I have not been able to work as much on the patch migration as I had hoped.

Also i will point out, as many know, a good portion of our staff are either employed in jobs that vary with seasons, or are academic, and so the spring/summer transition is when people have no hours. Applause to echo and the two lower staff who have put in hours in the past weeks helping out when their schedules have been full to the brim.

I'm sorry the patch is going to be late. I am sorry it is as late as it has been, it should have went up months ago, but with the way the shard is set up currently, you have a few staff working, and bottlenecks happen when we have to wait on one particular staff, sometimes me, sometimes broadband, sometimes echo or thassius, to do something. And the relatively stressed schedules of all of us have just resulted in a lot of time where work can't get done.

However the good news. I get to reveal some of the interesting things about the patch, hopefully you'll see why it's taken this long and why we've put so much time into it. Please note this is nowhere near the full patch changes, just a few things i think you'll enjoy.

Changes for staff:
A new system for keeping track of players. This means no more people stuck in jail for weeks because staff don't put notes up correctly.
Patches will be more streamlined, meaning no more delayed bottlenecks just because one staff gets delayed in life, the others will still be able to worked.
Upgraded site systems, such as a new account creation page as well as a few others.

Changes for players:
Upgraded Client
Healing has been rebalanced. I won't give specifics as of now, but I trust that it will piss some people off, make some people happy, but in the end I think everyone will enjoy the new system, especially with how it deals with poison and hunger. Fail rate has also been completely redone.
Most of the crafting skills got upgrades and new items, as well as a few small balance changes/use changes.
three new commands have been added for players,
.bandageself and .bandagelast. They do as they say, bandage yourself, or bandage the last person you bandaged.
.sortpack has also been added, to help organizing packs with lots of items.
Potions now have a new reworked timer system, with different types of potions having different timers.

Keep in mind this is only a small portion of stuff the patch will implement. The full changelog will be posted when the patch goes live.
I will be able to post within a week what the new schedule for the patch is, and hopefully we will limit the downtime when time stops to a single day, however that depends on broadband's availability. Please be patient with us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 7:14 am 

Bot Check: GAMER
thanks for update and telling us whats going on, well with age i am geting more patient every year so i wont have much problem with waiting till things gets fixed up :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 1:28 pm 

I'm glad we have a dedicated staff developer as GMbob, and I appreciate all the work you have done and still doing for the shard, and of course when you have to depend on someone's decision or availability all these problems have to happen.
It sounds good to me the few new things Bob mentioned and I understand there is lot more coming. However, it would be cool to have added to the patch if is not already added stuff like new rides with more color variety like bright mustang colors that match with weapons and armour and even though some other shards had those features we never have gotten the chance to enjoy that part. Special new cloth colors would make roleplaying more interesting as well.
Regards and keep up the good work

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 4:46 pm 

Thanks for the update Bob.

Kudos to you, broadband, echo, thassius and the rest of the staff who have worked so hard to keep this shard online. Your hard work and devotion to the shard is greatly appreciated.

I'm patiently looking forward to the patches, and totally understand that life can sometimes get in the way of everything.

Time stoppage can be a great time to explore. 8)
Time to catch and cook a bunch of stamina fish for my chars...

Nash Fisher - Fisherman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 9:26 am 

You guys rock :0)

My own personal schedule is hectic as ever; I'm managing a team, doing a management qualification, and training other employees on things. at the same time as partying and working on my band outside of work, but...

... I'm waiting in the wings for when I'm needed :) I'm thinking that (once the shard is stable and the path is laid for swifter, rolling patches) a recruitment drive may be in order :)

Keep up the good work, and I look forward to seeing the new development in place.

Maybe I could write a new Obsidian theme tune for the new client? haha.

<3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 9:36 am 
Shard Supporter (Donated)
Shard Supporter (Donated)

i still listen to that theme song it kicks total ass.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 4:33 pm 

I was just on and I beleave we are in the loop now.
Rune stones not working and no stem regen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 5:11 pm 
Staff

I am looking forward to the patch. Thanks for the update GMbob.
Quote:
I was just on and I beleave we are in the loop now.
Rune stones not working and no stem regen.
And so it begins!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:09 am 

Excuse me if im wrong. But i used to play obsidian. And now that im back. Is it just one great big advertisement for WoW? Obsidian seems to be a test shard. How bout rolling the age back or working the server remotely since broadband doesnt touch it. And while were on broadband ive seen him one time in the five years ive played.Maybe real life is taking time from him. But honestly five or ten minutes would show some kind of dedication. anybody else?

P.S. thanks bob & echo for being the ONLY staff members puting time into this. I know i seem like a dick, but somebody needs to ask these questions and somebody needs to answer them.

The synonymous term freedom of expression is sometimes preferred, since the right is not confined to verbal speech but is understood to protect any act of seeking, receiving and imparting information or ideas, regardless of the medium used.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:43 am 

That's the funny thing about obsidian and uo in general...5 or 10 minutes inevitably turns into an hour or two, and that doesn't matter if you're staff, admin or player...and the questions you ask in making yourself look like a dick spiffy really really don't need asking, reason being they've been asked before.

When you've real stuff to deal with even the small amount of 5/10 minutes seems like time you can't afford to waste. And yes, in comparison to making a living and dealing with family & friends - this would be just that, an unimportant activity & a waste. That being said I hope the staff here know that i appreciate the work they do, in their own free time - & also appreciate that the shard is here pritty much as and when i feel like playing.

Cheers to the staff & their work! - cya's soon :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 1:09 pm 

*cough* suckup *cough*

'And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.' - Friedrich Nietzsche

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 1:16 pm 

Quote:
I know i seem like a dick, but somebody needs to ask these questions and somebody needs to answer them.
The answer is quite simple really. It is a free shard. If you do not like it, go away and play on another. Insulting our demi-gods will get you no where.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 4:01 pm 

Actually, im not trying to insult anybody. I know its a free shard that being said dont tell me again. I have something called obsidian pride sorry for you to tell people to go play another shard when there is crap for players on obsidian right now. Maybe if there were more players the staff would dedicate more time. Maybe people would donate. Really though, if you like having a staff account then it should be used. But on the other hand. If the staff account doesnt allow you to do the things you should be able to that should be #1 concern.

Never mind this quote pretty much clears up the whole thing i wish i would have just read it before i came back.

"I expected that answer from all of you hehe. It does not bother us whether Broadband cares about the shard or not anymore. We have gotten so used to the fact that the shard needs so much work to be done and fixes won't ever probably happen. Just chill out people, and go play some sports instead, which is good for your health "

anybody for a game of cricket?

The synonymous term freedom of expression is sometimes preferred, since the right is not confined to verbal speech but is understood to protect any act of seeking, receiving and imparting information or ideas, regardless of the medium used.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 7:08 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
I know i seem like a dick, but somebody needs to ask these questions and somebody needs to answer them.
The answer is quite simple really. It is a free shard. If you do not like it, go away and play on another. Insulting our demi-gods will get you no where.
errrm... most people are way ahead of ya... now u the one that sounds like a dick here, telling ppl to go away will NOT make things ANY better.

'And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.' - Friedrich Nietzsche

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 7:37 pm 

i'd hope your talking to the other guy because i would never refer anybody away from the obsidian shard. the whole time ive been playing ive told people in "rl" to give it a try...problem there lies in account creation. but thats all good according to the big B. i just want to show support for obsidian. Gm bob maybe you could get the server from bb or something. Or perhapse he is willing to put it up for sale or auction or something.

Post a new topic Post a reply Page 1 of 6   [ 77 posts ]
Go to page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next