Post subject: what shoiuld i do!
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:09 pm 

Bot Check: GAMER
Yahoo Messenger: chipsll
Ok im building a new comp soon as this processor comes,
Um im currently running off a OLD AGP bored
probably made at the same time obsidian was :lol:
the only thing thats converting from the old system to the new... is my HDD
well the main question is, is it better just wipe my HDD so i can just build my drivers from there,
or is it better just to update all my drivers and delete old ones and stuff manually,

also is there any free program to manage drivers / find new / best drivers and stuff?

I dun have many cards in my old one and won't in my new one, besides my new GPU and maybe a USB card.

so is it better to wipe all my stuff (pics prgrams and games) so i can gave ease of driver use or what?

Post subject: Re: what shoiuld i do!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:52 am 

If the computer is THAT old you'd be far better off replacing the drive with something modern. Putting a drive that old in a new computer will seriously cripple the performance of your new system.

If a new drive isn't an option it would be better to nuke the drive and start with a fresh install

Chronos

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:52 am 

ya thats what i kinda figured, itis actually a pretty fast drive For IDE, 7.2k rpm 'I THINK'
but for now I can't replace it, I need SOOOO much money atm. 1 for the new sidekick 2 college books 3 new laptop for college
so ya a new Sata hdd would be wonderfull, but I just can't atm...
maybe when i find a job! lol
ima search for new HDD prices and stuff

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:14 am 
Shard Supporter (Donated)

reformat is the best to do.

If you just do a reformat with another windows disk, it might not remove the boot sectors, so I'd recommend doing a low level format (some companies call it a zero write) before you reinstall. This sets your drive to the state it was at when it was brand new from the manufacturer. The down side is that if your drive has any bad sectors that have been marked in the past, this will remove the marks. After the low level format, and before the instillation of the OS, I'd recommend doing a surface scan to remark any bad sectors, especially on an older drive. If you don't, there's a good chance you'll be getting the BSOD quite a bit.

So what kind of hardware are you looking at getting?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:36 am 

As long as you have the network driver (motherboard chipset or physical card) saved to a disc you are OK. Just format, install yr OS, and after installing the network driver use the Internet to pull the newest versions of yr other drivers.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:38 am 

well as you know im switching Mobos also, so thats where i dun wanna mess up at... cuz i know i wont remember ALL the drivers i installed. um ya ima format it then! lol
I dun have any bad sectors I dun think... if i do there not marked cuz i have no programs to mark them. tbh i never heard of bad sectors lol

but um i might as well go with the full format from a windows XP disk.. but my friends father had lost my XP CD :roll: same guy that ordered my processor like 3 weeks ago :/ im still waiting for it LOlz :/ um he also ordered the mobo for me,, its been sitting here a month or 2 now ask jiza LOL!

thanks for the advice everyone! um do you guys know any programs to analyze all the old drivers and tell me which ones i need, I mean i know how to driver search or w,e. but it seems like i always miss a few no matter how long i spend researching them :roll: and it usually doesn't end up making a difference but it would be cool to have all the updated drivers right for once lol cuz my lazy ass will probably end up getting the GPU drivers and the audio drivers install direct X and call it a day 8)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:03 am 

driver magic...do a google search. It might be what your looking for.

edit....A buddy of mine at work recommended driver genius professional. It will back up your current drivers, download and install new drivers, monitor your hardware, and let you know when new drivers are available. You can even download drivers for your system that are not for the OS you are currently using....so if you are formating your drive and installing a different OS, you have all you need on a disk without downloading anything after the fresh install.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:43 pm 

why dont u just throw it away and buy you a brand new 400 dollar comp?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:14 pm 

because I would still have to throw the cards I just bought in there and get the drivers anyway apoc :roll:

um, but azi how much do they cost? i just ordered my debit so i can buy online now. + new job :)
ima google them as you said tho ty for the advice ima continue damn waiting for my processor that shoulda been here a few weeks ago tho :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:18 pm 

After my buddy recommended it, I gave it a try. It works well, and the drivers are all full manufacturer drivers, not striped down versions for the program. The ATI drivers it found for my video card are the same catalyst drivers I would get from the AMD website.

Chips....bittorrent...100+ seeds for driver genius professional on the pirate bay.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:11 pm 

gotcha ;)

silly chips, payings for dicks!

Post a new topic Post a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]