It is currently Fri Sep 27, 2024 4:22 am

Post a new topic Post a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:40 pm 

Bot Check: GAMER
A weighty issue.
I have thought for some time about the issue of the weight of ingots.
I'm not even able to craft a set of iron armour without having to use three sets of igots. Although I have st 100 I'm not able to make more then a few sets of any variety of armour without getting too heavy. I can only make a few sets befor they become to heavy to carry or my house exceeds the wieght limit..
What is the value to being able to make 10 20 or 30 sets when you can't hold enough ingots to perform such a task. I'm no spending as much time on Ultama because I can't make anything without haveing to much weight.

If you can address this issue I would very much like it. I use to make make all kinds of armour and be able to carry the ingots but not now.

Chilly

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:35 pm 

if its an issue for chilly its an issue for me even tho i never carry any ingot..

((and well chilly u gonna get answered that weight of ingot have been raised to be more in line with weight of craftable.. but i suppose that you are telling us that ingot are much heavier then armor right ?)

either fix this or suply chilly with free str fish pls

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:14 pm 

I brought up the same issue when the weights changed. My opinions weren't ignored, but they didn't seem seem to have any weight (no pun intended). The only change I saw as a result of voicing my opinion was that the forge in the mine I spent most of my time in was deleted.

My poor smith can carry only enough ingots to make 1 set of armor. He is GM mining and 70 smith so it's not like he only has 40 str. Smithing is such a royal PITA when you have to run home after every set to get more ingots. I haven't trained since the change.

Hopefully the opinion of a smith as well respected a Chilly will be respected.

Nash Fisher - Fisherman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:55 pm 

I agree it shold be changed. Some of us dont pvp we like to craft so when we have this kinda issue you dont want to play :(

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:27 pm 
Site Admin

Logs = 2 weight
Ingots = 2 weight
Fish = 1 weight normal, 10 weight for stat fish/feast fish

Carpentry/Tinkering have items that take just as many resources as blacksmithing and have had to deal with the weight for ages. As i said before, this just puts things in line.

Now, if i hear enough from EVERY crafting skill that weights are outta wack, i'll consider dropping average resource weight down to 1. Actual reasons, not just "yes we want less weight". But being as so far it's just the smiths who are losing their relatively free ride when it comes to resource weight, i'm not so inclined.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:10 pm 

The weight of fish is another topic in itself...

As is the weight increase from cotton/thread/cloth...
(not an invitation to increase weight of cotton/wool/thread/cloth)

What's next, balancing the weight of regs to ingots/logs/fish?
(not an invitation to increase weight of regs)

But let's get back on topic...

My initial gripe with smithing was a weight increase when crafting ingots to items. I clarified that in another post by providing weights in stones from ingots to finished product, and stated that maybe the crafted items were too heavy. This was interpretted as ingots are too light, and ingot weight was increases to a level where a smith-in-training with 89 str can carry only enough ingots to make 1 set of armor.

As a result of the weight limitations I have stopped training. It is just not practical to run back to the house every time I make 1 set. I will still make/repair armor for my chars and maybe give some away, but I don't see myself training again under the current system.

Quote:
IHopefully the opinion of a smith as well respected a Chilly will be respected.
Guess not.

Nash Fisher - Fisherman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:50 am 
Site Admin

seems like the big issue is the running distances, once forges get back it should be better.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:45 pm 

My house is close to a forge, an anvil, and easy to get to from rc, but not close a mine. Travel distance is not a big deal.

Figured "what the hell, newbs are coming," I may be able to pay forward some of the generosity I received from smiths when I started. So, I ate 7 str fish within the past week on my miner. It increased my ingot carrying capacity by 14 ingots, not even enough to make a helmet. There were 3 newbs (age 20) on line at the same time today. If I run into more than one and want to make them some armor it would require multiple trips to the house for ingots. Before stating that I could keep ingots in the bank, remember that the bank box's capacity is determined by weight.

It would be nice to utilize the new crafting abilities, such as the ability to make 50 of the same item. This is a nice training aid, with no real use beyond training. With daggers set to 0.0 skill you will not gain from them. Gorgets? At 10 ingots each you can't cary enough ingots to make that many, unless your str is about 250. This is a very nice feature of the crafting patch that is useless in blacksmithy.

Maybe I have missed something, but I fail to see where lighter ore/ingots is a balance issue.

Nash Fisher - Fisherman

Post a new topic Post a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]