It is currently Fri Sep 27, 2024 4:16 pm

Post a new topic Post a reply Page 1 of 6   [ 84 posts ]
Go to page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
 Post subject: time for another upgrade
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:09 am 
Shard Supporter (Donated)

Well, it's been about 4 years since I last upgraded my computer, and when i did it last time it was done without much forethought. With Darkfall on it's way it's time for some new stuff.

This time I really want to do it right...from the ground up...but I'm a bit out of the PC gaming rig loop.

-I got a new 1080HD monitor yesterday, so thats out of the way.

-I want a new case, but it's not high priority. Something that's not flashy (no bright colors or lights). I'm almost positive that any larger atx case will work....if some of you guys know something about this that I'm overlooking, please let me know.

-Power supply is not an issue...there cheep and available anywhere

-I know I want a crossfire setup for the graphics cards. I'm going to start off with an ATI Radion HD4870 and upgrade from there as time goes on. I just don't know what manufacture of the 4870 board gives the best price for performance. I'm leaning towards Saffire, but I can't give a good reason why.

-I'm looking at an AMD Phenom II x4 940 CPU, with some kind of motherboard that uses the AMD790FX chipset, but I'm stuck on deciding which one. I know the motherboard has to be able to handle Crossfire with 4 cards, and I want the ram to be expandable for the foreseeable future (5gig?, 10Gig?). Over clocking is a plus, but I probably will not bother with it for a few years, if ever.

-the ram will come when I decide what kind of motherboard I will use, but I'll start out with 1Gig.

-I have 2 hard drives right now, and I'll be getting rid of both of them eventually, but the first to go is my 5400 RPM dinosaur. I've heard about these solid state drives, but I don't know how fast they are compared to the disk types. Size is not an issue. I plan on shadowing my documents and program files directories to my storage drive (to be upgraded later), but I want the drive that my os is on to be fast. Whats a good fast drive?

-whatever sound and internet that come on the motherboard are fine for now.

Anyway, I'll probably change my mind 10 times before i actuially put in the order for everything, but I'm hoping for some input.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:13 pm 

Bot Check: GAMER
Yahoo Messenger: chipsll
o for internet u should just get a cheap ethernet card,, ur spending lots of money anyway lol...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:47 pm 

Most halfway decent motherboards come with onboard lan and sound. I can always upgrade them if I want, but I won't be using an RJ45 connection anyway. I have other arrangements for internet.

I think I decided on the Motherboard I'm going with. It's an asus M4A79T Deluxe. There's so many options out there when it comes to motherboards that it's mind numbing.

Edit: I think I got my final setup

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:57 pm 

Dude I picked up a laptop the other day with 4 fkin Gigs of Ram for only $550, for my Mom dude.. You gonna have a quarter the ram that my mommy do ..sad...

Eshmaki

http://www.youtube.com/user/IloveJesusY ... ature=mhum

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:04 pm 

Thats nice. Thanks for your constructive input. I'm guessing math is not your strong suit? Apparently neither are computers.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:11 pm 

No yoouu aren't your maths input...

so blleeeeh...

For realz yo quarter=1/4 I'm guessing..

It's from your words so anyway... I didn't read your graph or what you said closely.. I just pwned on your comp since I do realize you know more about them and will end up with a good one, unless something was off in the world, because you are more tech helpful on this forums than almost anyone.. :D It makes sense it's just weird...

You and your spreadsheets.. Accounting FTW!

Eshmaki

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:06 am 

dunno why but i dont like ATI, prefer Nvidia video cards, i try the Intel Core 2 Quad processor the other day and was awsome..... some MOBO can handle 8Gb of RAM, for the HDD u can get the Seagate Barracuda SATA.

u also can get a Nvidia MOBO and the Nvidia video card, but this is for sure ALL UR PC BUILD depends of the MOBO u buy so take that in mind

Iori Yagami - The Old Fisher Of Obsidian
Yashiro - From Old School
Saga - Golden Wizard
Orochi - The Vamp Stoned
The Sorrow - In The Darkness were he belong
[ Merovingian's Dynasty ]

Click here to feed me a Star Fruit!
Get your own at Flyffables!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:04 am 

I've been trying to upgrade since my home machine died at the beginning of December. Trying to get an Intel Dual core @ 3.4 GHZ going with a geforce 9400 GT... but everything I touch seems to break in my hands then just burst into flames. Don't have the money (or the want) to buy a new PC off a shelf. Hopefully I'll get something running that doesn't turn off at random (now it doesn't turn on at all) and runs fast... eventually.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:28 am 

Quote:
I've been trying to upgrade since my home machine died at the beginning of December

u dont upgrade cus ur lazy !!! :x

Saga - Golden Wizard
Orochi - The Vamp Stoned

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:16 pm 

well i would upgrade to, but i dont have the money, and i love putting them together so ya, if i had the money iw ould def. do dat lol but i dont, i spend my pay check strickly on clothes LOL

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:52 pm 

cloths ? .......... wtf dont tell me that u use 1 change for every day of the year

Saga - Golden Wizard
Orochi - The Vamp Stoned

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:46 pm 

My cloths usually last longer then my computers.

Iori, I looked into some of your suggestions.

I had Nvidia cards for a long time, and I loved them, but ATI has this thing I just found out about called crossfireX (it might have been out for a while, but I have not been paying attention to computer stuff for a long time)....anyway, this takes the PCIe 2 slot and allows you to connect up to 4 ATI video cards in one computer.....the benchmarks I looked at were really impressive, and it allows me to upgrade over time without having to spend tons of money up front. As far as I can tell, it's ATI exclusive, and I need a motherboard that will support it....

I don't buy intel chips. I think there overpriced. the Phenom II 940 chip I'm looking at is a quad core chip for about 200 dollars. It's neck and neck in benchmarks with the intel quad core chip (the i7 940), but the intel chip costs about 570 dollars.

All of the motherboards I've been looking at can handle at least 16 meg of DDR2 and/or DDR3 Ram

I'll have to look into the Barracuda drive. I think the SATA 3 velociraptor drive that I chose is significantly faster then the Barracuda, but Seagate has a new SATA 3 Barracuda that is sloted to come out in the next month or so. If the price is within my budget, I might end up with one.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:00 pm 

Clothes and Computers are both are pointless to be so into..

Find a worthwhile hobby before you get trampled at walmart or your new gadget blows up and pierces your heart...

Eshmaki

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:34 pm 

O ya at one point i had dual chips in, i was usuing this 200$ asus board tho.... i liked it cuz it said DELUXE
at the end of it tbh :(

anyway ya i dont think u can get 4 cards. cuz it tells u to connect 2 through this connector card thing, (looks kinda like the wire thing that connects (not power) to ur HDD, but its thinner, i forgot the name for the wire, its a wide wire LOL,
anyway ya i dont think u can connect 4... i might be wrong tho!!

anyway, where i shop it's not likely to get trampled lolz, cuz i would swing if someone stepped on my new true religions :O

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:27 pm 

Chips, I'm not sure exactly what you just said, but do a search for crossfireX on google and you'll see what I'm talking about with the 4 boards.

Alexace, I'm sure there's some really kick ass bipolar medication out there with your name on it.

Post a new topic Post a reply Page 1 of 6   [ 84 posts ]
Go to page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next